Kessil

TESTING NEW TANK CONDITIONS

Schmitty

Supporting Member
My tank has been running for a few weeks now and I just wanted to see what to test, Im assuming the Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, salinity... Anything else? How do I know when it's finished with the cycle completely and ready to add a snail or crab?

i could give you a list of everything you'd want to test, but the basics are:

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, Phosphates, Salinity - add crabs / snails
Magnesium, Calcium, Alkalinity - for corals (there are much more but these are the basics)

[quote author=Schmitty link=topic=2975.msg31919#msg31919 date=1202335255]
Thanks. What about the water hardness?
[/quote]

i dunno, i don't think so... isn't that related to Alk?

Just do the tests above and you're safe given you're using a well known salt mix. =)

So once all the levels are where they are supposed to be, does that mean that the tanks stable or could they spike again... Ive heard everything from 2-6 weeks cycle wise. The guy at the store told me since I was using live sand and cured live rocks it might be done soon

[quote author=Schmitty link=topic=2975.msg31921#msg31921 date=1202335692]
So once all the levels are where they are supposed to be, does that mean that the tanks stable or could they spike again... Ive heard everything from 2-6 weeks cycle wise. The guy at the store told me since I was using live sand and cured live rocks it might be done soon
[/quote]

If you can, get a hold of some pure ammonia or ammonia chloride and dose 3-8ppm. If your ammonia drops to undetectable (using pretty accurate test kits) within 12 hours or so, AND your nitrites do the same, then you're cycle is ready. That's really the for sure way to know. If not, I'd dose 3-8ppm of ammonia daily until you can bring the levels down fast enough.

I say 3-8 because 3 is a low bioload, so if you just put in a few small fishes at first or something, it'd slowly build up. 8 would be pushing it as if you had a fully stocked tank already.

I dosed 8ppm daily for the first few months, then slowed to 8ppm every other day.

Remember to do a pretty big water change when you're done to get rid of your nitrates unless you have some great nitrate export (macro algae, RDSB, etc).

You do test hardness. kH (or alk) is one part of it. The other part gH consists of magnesium and calcium. So you test the elements that determine gH separately.

[quote author=iani link=topic=2975.msg31934#msg31934 date=1202339262]
You do test hardness. kH (or alk) is one part of it. The other part gH consists of magnesium and calcium. So you test the elements that determine gH separately.
[/quote]

wow you're a genius! ;) that's good info though

Back