Kessil

The Joys of putting your tank where it will go...

I can't be the only one who went...

"I want that tank, on this wall" ... "But wait, X is already on that wall"... X in my case was my Entertainment Center... The wall behind the TV shares with my Garage, if I ever decide to do plumbing through the wall into the garage I'd rather not have to relocate the tank around the whole house...

PC010213.jpg

(Samsung 63" Plasma, Onyko 7.2 Controller, 6x Martin Logan Floor standing Speakers, 1x Martin Logan center speaker, 2x 300 watt Martin Logan Subs, wii, xbox 360, ps3, comcast dvr, my laptop to play music through the speakers...)

Then the hunting starts for a proper position... I'd show pictures of the other locations, but my house looks like a war-zone from all the rearranging going on for the tanks...

The place I have decided is, above the fireplace in the same room, means I need to buy a new TV mount, and do an all new wall hiding setup (good cause even painted the new one is an eye-sore IMHO)... Tank will be in the far corner on the right hand side in that picture...

Dumb Question....

Will a TV w/ surround adversely affect a reef tank setup if they are in the same room?

If the tank is on a concrete slab the fish will experience less vibration than a wood floor. Due to the density of water sound is 4x as loud in water. The fish know when you enter the room and when a garbage truck rolls by. I do like the idea of putting the hardware for the tank in the garage. JRocha can help you tv mount ,)

Also, nice Martin Logans
I'm a mcintosh b&w man myself
Good luck

If those speakers have a port in the back - they should not be that close to the wall.
Same goes to subs but they may be bottom firing.

Also get a nice carpet in front, you are probably getting a lot of standing waves in that room.

and if they are full baffle step compensated, you'll want them about 2-3ft from the wall.

and carpet/heavy curtains!

The tank will effect the acoustics (which you didn't ask), but how much depends on tank placement and size.

Oh, and I'd move the subs inward. You'll balance out the room modes a bit, at the expense of more "boom" at the corner resonance frequency.

(tips from a DIY audio junkie looking to build some more speakers lol)

The angle will be highly dependent on how the speaker was designed. Some are designed for 0° and others for 15° off axis. The sub location from that figure is highly misleading. Room modes/nodes (and SAF) dictate where it goes. THe pretty place often is the worst place to put it. There are a few freeware programs that you can use to model the response function of the room. Hopefully your room is neither square nor dimension multiples.

Edit, found the old software (and some I was part of writing long long ago lol)
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

Well I went out and picked up this bad boy to mount my TV on...

Chief - Reaction Full-Motion Wall Mount for 42" - 63" Flat-Panel TVs - Extends 37" - Black

7338838_sa.jpg

The speakers are about 18 inches from the wall, not in that picture, but after it was taken they were moved...

The speakers sound extremely well in their current placement, moving them did not change the sound quality at all for the user experience... (Then again I tend to be partially deaf so I have to turn up the sound higher then most people)

Back