Jestersix

thinking of going a dark blue tank background this time...

houser

Past President
Thinking about making a new tank with a dark blue background. I've always liked the dark blue ones but never had anything but black (and one super ugly light blue one about 20yrs ago that's collecting dust out back in the shed).

Any votes for a particular shade of dark blue that would pair well with the 10-14K look? Figure I'd call around the typical local industrial plastic distributors to check what they have in stock this upcoming week.

Alternatively if anyone has a nice panel meeting the above criteria that's 24"x16" by 3/8" thick they want to unload then let me know.

Thanks,
dave

Probably not a possibility with acrylic but my background is a blackish silver. It was sandwiched in between two pieces of glass. Looks awesome as it has a mirror like property that makes my tank look like it has twice the depth it actually has.

Don't tell me you actually clean the back of the tank!
Mine is purple(coralline algae color).
I have trouble just keeping the front clean. :D

Yep. It is a bit of a pain cleaning 2 4 ' panes and 2 2' panes but it really makes the corals pop.

*** this message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood anal accountant ***

I think only black color make the color of coral pop. Dark blue is nice but black is nicer :) ..

You can paint acrylic Bryan..
http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/paintyourtank.html

IMO, dark blue is pretty nice, it gives it a deep ocean appearance and because it's dark, everything pops. I spray painted the back of a 5 gallon dark blue and kept two clowns in it for about 6 months. The tank is down now but I'll see if I can get you a nice picture of it tomorrow.

Elite said:
I think only black color make the color of coral pop. Dark blue is nice but black is nicer :) ..

You can paint acrylic Bryan..
http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/paintyourtank.html

But Brian can't as his acrylic is sandwiched between two pieces of glass. He can't even tough the stuff ;)

seminolecpa said:
t was sandwiched in between two pieces of glass.

OK good opinions out there.
Normally spray the clear back black for that good look. But this time I'm going to go with a solid color background since I'm going to be gluing the overflow system to the back of the tank. So yes, I guess you could say I am hiding something back there. This baby is going in the house so it better look smoooth.

I was never one to clean the back but this time I may give it some effort - for a while at least ;)

dave

Back