Our mission

Thinking of Upgrading

Possibly upgrading to an Oceanic Tech Tank by years end. Looking at the 120g 4x2x2, would need stand as well.
Anyone know where I can go to take a look at one in person in SF, does not have to be the same size, just want to see the tank in person.

The store on Broadway in Chinatown used to have one. I thought about getting the 120 gal too. It has really nice dimensions and with the starphire glass, it's a win win. I just didn't want to lug that tank up 3 flights of stairs... :D

I think its sold alreadt but they didn't move it yet. If you want one, you will need to get them to order it ahead of time. The Oceanic stand doesn't seem to be a strong but it does have doors on 3 sides- ( I don't think they have the Oceanic stand in stock - its sitting on a basic stand right now.)

With my husbands brilliant thinking last night, he convinced me that we should put a hole in our newly added family room downstairs, which will work out great since the garage is on the other side with a sink / RO unit close by it should work out great. My first in-wall system. :D

The search begins for a new tank ;D

Originally I was thinking of getting the Oceanic Tech 120, but now I may go custom to get a tank with more front to back depth. Still would keep the 48" length x 24" height, but may go with width of 28" or more. I am leaning towards acrylic. Any suggestions and or recommendations on who I should contact for some quotes ?

They aren't cheap by any means, but those marineland ultra deep tanks would be awesome here. They are all 27" high, 36" deep and range in width from like 36 to 72"

Oceanic Tech Tank 120g is a great tank - I have one. I got a great deal from Chris at Aquatic Central. It was a PITA bringing it home - its a heavy tank.

Thanks Eilleen I never even considered them as a custom builder.
[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=4761.msg58060#msg58060 date=1223566942]
Tru-Vu would be one possibility
[/quote]

I have never heard of them, definitely must check them out. The depth sounds awesome, but not sure if that is too deep to access easily.
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4761.msg58063#msg58063 date=1223567137]
They aren't cheap by any means, but those marineland ultra deep tanks would be awesome here. They are all 27" high, 36" deep and range in width from like 36 to 72"
[/quote]

I keep hearing that you can get great deals on the Oceanic. I love having more front to back depth.
[quote author=Skorpinok link=topic=4761.msg58064#msg58064 date=1223567176]
Oceanic Tech Tank 120g is a great tank - I have one. I got a great deal from Chris at Aquatic Central. It was a PITA bringing it home - its a heavy tank.
[/quote]

If you have an inwall tank having a deep tank makes a lot of sense... doubly so if it'll be viewable on more than one side. However you have to take into account how much family room real-estate you'll be losing :D

The tank would sit flush with the wall in the family room and the back would be into the garage. I would not be able to view the sides unless I am in the garage. When I get time I will take a picture of the room and tape out the area where the tank would sit.

Sounds like a great project Joyce. The width of the tank is a very good thing to have.

I would think twice on any tank that has a height of greater than 24" because it's harder to reach the bottom of the tank.

As much as I would like to go longer than 48" I think I only have that amount of space on the one wall that I have available space for which is beside a set of stairs (will post photo). I would like to use most of my same equipment as well, especially since I just bought Ian's Tek light ;D which I love by the way.
Yeah I would agree 24" seems like it would be enough height, don't want to wear a divers mask to do maintenance or have some freak accident happen where half my body is dangling in the wall :D

Well Joyce, even if you can't see the side of the tank, I think a wide tank is good because it gives you that much more depth to look from the front towards the back, that third dimension really comes into play :D

For an extreme example look at http://www.oregonreef.com/

Here are a couple photos.

Family Room Photo with blue tape of a 48"x24" window.
939_09_10_08_9_13_39.jpg

View from the Garage Side
939_09_10_08_9_14_25.jpg

Back