got ethical husbandry?

thoughts on thia skimmer for my medium load 180

I have a euro-reef I just pulled off my 180 gal for sale, $200. You can't get good nano skimmer for that price.

Never heard of that brand myself but I've only been in this hobby for a lil over a year. What's your price range and footprint? ER's are good still even they're no longer around.

sfboarders said:
Never heard of that brand myself but I've only been in this hobby for a lil over a year. What's your price range and footprint? ER's are good still even they're no longer around.

They used to be the gold standard ( when there were no other needle wheel skimmers but them and a couple EU imports) but for the same money now a days, you can get a better skimmer. They did some bad business moves and went out of business last year. The son (father and son ran ER) has started a new skimmer company but for the life of me I can not remember it.

$200 is not a bad price, but it really depends on which pump is included.

GreshamH said:
sfboarders said:

They used to be the gold standard ( when there were no other needle wheel skimmers but them and a couple EU imports) but for the same money now a days, you can get a better skimmer. They did some bad business moves and went out of business last year. The son (father and son ran ER) has started a new skimmer company but for the life of me I can not remember it.

$200 is not a bad price, but it really depends on which pump is included.

Reef Dynamics?

+1 to what Gresham said, so many more options out there if you're willing to buy in the 6 bills range.

Also what do you consider a "medium load" ?

Might want to take a look at the Reef Octopus Extreme line of skimmers, they're clones of the old ATi Bubblemasters including using the same pump (which I personally love). You could easily get a brand spanking new skimmer that probably can more than handle your bioload for around 300.

Bubble Magus and Vertex are also great skimmers. Heck even the Skimz are nice. So many awesome options now :)

GreshamH said:
Bubble Magus and Vertex are also great skimmers. Heck even the Skimz are nice. So many awesome options now :)

+1, down drafts and becketts are energy hogs, sure they work great, but they also suck power and have a ton of turbulence in the skimmer body.

I went with this one Jess as the BM 200 (as much as I liked it) couldn't handle my rapidly growing bioload any more.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-XP5000I.html

Got it from Aquatic Collection. Pretty happy with it so far. Still breaking in a bit.

ive hear good things about the SWC skimmers. but if i were spending around the $600 range id save up a little bit more and get the new bubble master cones theyre coming out with.

I need to grab the skimmer and figure out what model it is again. I don't believe RS-180 was the model as it is bigger I thing it is a CS-8-4. It has been a while.
It has an 8" body and runs on a sedra 5000 I believe. Replaced the pump about a year ago.
I have the gate valve kit on it so it is easy to adjust.

I tried to replace it a few times with a skimmer under $500 but never found one that skimmed as good without making a bunch of noise.

Will also trade the skimmer for frags. I would keep it as I should have a nice big tank in about 2 years again but have ideas of a DIY skimmer that is a throw back of a skimmer type I kept 10 years ago but with modern equipment.

What is the height of the skimmer? Wasn't the CS-4 36" tall? Hmm wait, or was that the CS-8?

This chart may help you. Never liked the way ER came up with those older model #'s. The first number was ez but the second # if you memorized or knew you were ok. :)

http://www.schumannmedia.com/euroreef/skimmers/all.html

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:

+1, down drafts and becketts are energy hogs, sure they work great, but they also suck power and have a ton of turbulence in the skimmer body.

Agree. I have an AquaC EV-120. (Beckett like)
AquaC claims that they fixed the turbulence with various baffles and such, but there is still a lot of turbulence in there.
But I can attest that it does skim fairly well. Don't use it that much though.
However, I modded it a bit to reduce the nozzle size (a lot of people do), and it did improve it plus lower power.

Just moved to Oakland but I'm all over the bay

Thx for the chart. I think is is a cs8-2 as it is 24" tall. I'll measure it when I pick it up this weekend.

Back