Kessil

Thoughts

What are your thought and or experiences with Chemi-pure Elite? Says it removes silicates and has GFO for PO4 removal.
Is this stuff as good as it sounds? Or should I stick to using a sack of carbon and a sack of Phosban?

LOL :D

He's just giving props Phong!

I have personally not used Chemi-Pure but I have heard good things about it. It is quite strong, so one does have to be careful in using it.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5177.msg63848#msg63848 date=1226590212]
LOL :D

He's just giving props Phong!

I have personally not used Chemi-Pure but I have heard good things about it. It is quite strong, so one does have to be careful in using it.
[/quote]

I was thinking of giving it a try in my new system when I get it up and running. Eileen, when you say it is "quite strong," I assume you mean it is pretty effective in removing silicates, phosphates, and other dissolved organics in my water?

Jeremy - I think there are two versions of Chemi-pure. There is the regular Chemi-pure, which is supposed to be just like activated carbon. Then there is the newer Chemi-pure Elite which is supposed to contain GFO for silicate and PO4 removal.

I use Chemi-Pure (regular) in place of carbon along with a bag of Purigen in my 24 and it seems to do the best job out of all the different media I have tried. I'm a little skeptical about "Elite" removing silicate, I'll ask my girlfriend (biogeochemist) to see what she thinks.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=5177.msg63871#msg63871 date=1226596099]

Jeremy - I think there are two versions of Chemi-pure. There is the regular Chemi-pure, which is supposed to be just like activated carbon. Then there is the newer Chemi-pure Elite which is supposed to contain GFO for silicate and PO4 removal.
[/quote]

Chemipure is carbon with some sort of beaded resin, I was always afraid that the resin would leach out when exhausted and tend to stick to carbon.

The new stuff has GFO, both GFO and carbon adsorb "junk" at different rates, so I'm not quite sure how it could be used effectively.

Josh, I swore by Purigen back when skimmers were junk, that stuff really works (almost too good at times)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=5177.msg63874#msg63874 date=1226597952]
Chemipure is carbon with some sort of beaded resin, I was always afraid that the resin would leach out when exhausted and tend to stick to carbon.

The new stuff has GFO, both GFO and carbon adsorb "junk" at different rates, so I'm not quite sure how it could be used effectively.

Josh, I swore by Purigen back when skimmers were junk, that stuff really works (almost too good at times)
[/quote]

Chemipure also seems to use a finer carbon then the typical stuff you buy, always rinse the heck out of it before it goes in your tank. The little red resin beads seem to last the lifetime of the carbon, 3-4months in my 24 though, so no problems there.

Yeah, I don't know why more people don't use Purigen (even with a skimmer), you can buy a 1L can from DF&S fro $40 and it will clean the heck out of 1000gal for 6months, and then you can recharge it with bleach. I'm thinking about running a very large bag (500ml) in my 40 to see what happens, since you can't "overdose" with it.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=5177.msg63877#msg63877 date=1226598902]
What does Purigen remove/do?
[/quote]
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html
"Purigen™ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen™ darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen™ is designed for both marine and freshwater use. "

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=5177.msg63883#msg63883 date=1226599430]
I'm thinking about running a very large bag (500ml) in my 40 to see what happens, since you can't "overdose" with it.

Cheers,

Josh
[/quote]

Be careful IME you can starve your bacteria population by not providing them with food, the media gets exhausted then your bacteria populations ramp up again, it's like a yoyo for your tank. You really don't need that much of it. I used to run it in a fluidized reactor in the early '90s, it did an incredible job cleaning up the tank, after a while though the amount was cut back. The Palys, shrooms and other sewer creatures became unhappy (bleached).

I can honestly say that I've never had a testable level of ammonia, nitrite/nitrate while using 100ml of Purigen in my 24gal Nanocube (no skimmer). I can always tell when it gets to the end of its charge (3-4months), algae builds on the glass and hair algae starts to spring up. Recharge it and a week later the algae is subsiding.

I can also back its water "polishing" claim, as it seems to really reduce the viscous build up and keep your water crisp and clear.

I ran two 100ml bags in my 24 once, my nutrient loving corals really suffered, but my clean water loving corals loved it! This is why I want to try 500ml on my 40, to see if I can keep SPS without a skimmer :)

Cheers,

Josh

You can recharge it? Well that's cool then!

I've been trying the "dose vodka" to keep "good" bacteria fed and to help out my skimmer.

I've been doing it for 2 weeks. Maybe I'm imagining things, but the skimmer does seem to be filling up faster with gunk... BUT is the gunk caused by the vodka, or is the vodka enabling the "good" bacteria to do something or other and as a result I can pull more crap out.

In other words, is the vodka ALLOWING more crap to be pulled out, or is the vodka CAUSING more crap, which is then pulled out?

Anyway, it's cheap so I'll stick to it and see if it makes a difference. At least nothing has gotten drunk and died!

V

Back