Our mission

Timer failure and more little issues

Well my secret frag tank had a timer failed and stuck on the ON position for who knows how long. I noticed over two months ago a chalice "morphing color"
I normally check the tank every other day but afternoons only, around 5:00 when the lights are ON
Corals had enough of the artificial "midnight Sun" effect and most of them were bleaching badly so I move them home where they are coloring up and some made a great come-back after loosing lots of tissue. I went by my sister's place on a weekday morning and to my surprise the lights were on so I checked the equipment thinking the timer might have been turned on accidentally but it was a stuck-on timer; it was still working properly as far as the time indicator but the internals failed to go off.
Since I'm paying more attention to the tank, last week the Tek 6-T5 fixture went off, the four middle bulbs don't come on and no way I'm setting an 8 bulb Tek after the endless party the corals and fish experienced. I took my DIY-retro fitted reflector today there and decided to leave a single 250W halide over the tank. The Tek had a short on one of the lamp connectors so I swapped it, good thing I ordered lots of them a long while ago. After finishing setting the light noticed a small leak looking spot on one of the sides of the tank....
I just hope is water spilled over the rim and not a tiny leak.
At home the tank is packed and the little clowns seem to be un-happy about the real estate issue.

Guess it snows too...
Checked everything I could think of; some weird algae started to grow, sort of fuzzy brown; few water changes with new Seachem Reef Salt (Which reminds me I have to swing by AC to pick a bucket)
Algae is almost gone after regular photo-period and the tank started to look good again; I'll go check on the trouble spot in a couple hours to either confirm the leak (not the Pentagon ones) or deny it.
If it has a leak then I have to transfer the livestock and rock over to another tank while I re-seal this one which is four sided low-Iron glass rimless. Stand is plain 2x4's
Given the opportunity to work on this tank and provided I clear some room at my brother's, then I'll make a nice stand for it.
...well, have to take my child to school...

Thx Eileen.

It's a tiny leak so to transfer, hopefully I can accomplish it in a two week time frame at the most; need to run an electrical line and do some drywall patch before the transfer...

Early this morning the return pump in the tank at home died, like "FRIED"; my wife woke up and a smell of something burning came out of the aquarium. Pump leached something into the sump so I'm going to work a lot on the move of the corals today.
Fish are well, lucky for me, the pump when it seized stopped pumping water to the main tank then the siphon broke so I assume the shorting, burning and leaching was in the sump alone but I'm not taking the risk so time to swap the tank...

Yeah, move those animals or do a big water change followed with a Poly-Filter and carbon, the epoxy that surrounds the magnet releases some nasty funk once it starts to melt, no to mention the copper from the exposed wiring.

Livestock moved to temporary tank; we took down the 46 completely. Seems the bio-hazard was contained in the sump; the smell of whatever came out of the pump was horrible, so bad that I had to vomit several times. Sand, rock, chaeto, all went to the trash this morning.
but...
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8110?page=6#comment-141653

Thanks Eileen !

Took too long for the upgrade but finally happened; I had extra rock (Thx Boun !!) curing for quite sometime now so it should not be that big of an issue; the fried pump just caught me off guard.

Casualties already, sad, upsetting and frustrating; still I need to work on the frag tank too due to the leak which might only getting worse than I initially thought; is this when a lot of people drop the towel? :(

Thanks for the replies and support, I think the storm has passed and things are looking a bit better, it was just so sudden and I was not prepared for the hard labor it is to swap tanks. Tomorrow afternoon I'll swap the frag tanks too with a little help from my brother and nephew (hopefully) I'm waking up late if my kids allow it.
Being Labor Day, what better way to commemorate than doing it with hard labor !!!

Finally swapped the frag tank today; I'm so wasted of dealing with two tanks that needed urgent attention. Honestly the frag tank was my neglect but the new set up is in.
While mixing a new batch of saltwater I also did some housekeeping in the little 37, glass needed a good scrape and water change.
Next week I'll check parameters at home and maybe start adding the livestock back.

Back