Neptune Aquatics

Tips on shooting models

Here's the scoop,
A friend of mine asked if I would mind taking some model-style pictures of him. I am really excited to gain some experience in people portraiture. I have never done a photo shoot of a people or person model, so this is a first for me. Nonetheless, I would like to do my best to produce stellar photos. So I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a location anyone might recommend in San Francisco to do a photo shoot for a single person?
2. Clothing; do you normally tell the person what type of clothing to wear, and in what colors and such?
3. Posing; I think this is the hardest part for me. How do you know how to pose a person for a picture? Any rules of thumb, or casual generic poses I could try?
4. Lens; for portraits I am thinking of using my 70-200 for a tight head shots/portraits, and my 85 1.8 as well. Maybe use my 17-40 for closer full body shots and things.
5. Any specific camera settings you might recommend? What apertures should I use?
Thanks!

Fun =) The hardest part is to get past the awkwardness. I'm not going to lie, it's really awkward, even if they're your best friend. Best thing is to be prepared with what to say or have him do. If you guys just sit there like, "uh..." it really sucks. Start it off with coffee at a cafe or something. Don't just jump right into it.

I've had two models I've worked with for many years, and it's awesome now. The relationship you build between your model and you is really important. They trust you, and they understand what you want from them. If I just slightly mention something they could do, they know exactly what pose I want and the best way to do it. No endless instruction needed.

Also remember, it's not all on you. The model makes a huge difference in terms of poses. The amateur to pro models know exactly how to pose. The photographer essentially directs by explaining the mood / scene, and the model should act it out. You always see those funny french photographers saying: "you're a tiger, you're a tiger eating peas in a meadow!" It's actually kind of like that =)

Clothing: no crazy patterns, no shorts, plain colors. Unless the clothing is important (like a clothing line), it should be as colorless or plain as possible. General rule of thumb.

Equipment: Get yourself a big ass reflector. I have a 52" gold/silver reflector, it is 100000x better than any strobe / off camera flashes you could get, unless you're shooting at night, then that's a whole different ballgame. (you should try it, but it's hard). Also get yourself a nice assistant to hold it =) I have a stand that holds mine, but one gust of wind and that thing is a block away.

Poses, I hate them. I only do candid shots now. For engagement shoots and such, I basically have the couple or model take me with them to do something they really love to do. I want them to dress as they would normally. For couples, eventually they start getting comfortable with the camera taking shots, and they become completely natural. That is the best pose ever. The only thing I keep remind them to do is:

1. Keep your posture as attractive as possible, meaning no slouching. I'd say often: "straighten up, don't slouch". It makes a big difference. They are uncomfortable and self-concsious at first but it all works out. GOOD posture goes a long f'ing way.
2. Yes you are being natural, but make a little attempt to keep yourselves from being hidden from me. Sit and react towards me. This doesn't have to be all the time, but they will get used to it and stage the shots well. Have them sort of pose themselves in a way.

With those two guidelines, it's perfect. I now use natural lighting, no flash, all candids, everything tells a story of what's really happening. So you could try the candid shot approach at some point as well. I digress...

Guys shouldn't usually tilt their heads back or away, tilt towards and inwards to the body. Girls are basically opposite. It makes a big difference. Other than that, just mess around.

Lenses: 85 1.8 at f/2 or f/2.2 would give you some nice shots. Depends on what you want to do. If the background sucks or is too busy, use a shallow DOF. Usually I do this regardless. Even if the scene looks good, you want the focus on the person.

IF you want the background to really shine through, and have the model just be part of it, then use your 17-40, get close'ish without too much distortion, and f/8 that mofo. No real rules, try it out =)

Locations: Some nice ones I've liked recently:

- Legion of Honor (super bright, lots of nice plain pillars, security doesn't haggle you, not too busy). You'll find a lot of engagement/wedding/model photographers come and go, especially when it gets later. Legion of honor also has harsh shadows, so avoid the middle of the day.
- Sutro Baths by the cliff house: A bit rugged, a bit decayed, but nice and plain. Also a photographer friendly area. It's cold as heck right now though, so be prepared.
- Baker beach: lots of bunkers, again kind of run down and plain.
- DeYoung Memorial Museum, cool textured walls, go on a Monday if you don't want a crowd since it's closed.

That's sort of just a dump of what I know, hope that helps.

Thank you Art, for your response! :D
You're pictures and style are absolutely stellar IMO, so visualizing your advice is great. There are many other people on forums who give all sort of advice, but none of it is really portrayed through the quality of their photos.

This person is a personal friend of mine, and we've known each other for a fair amount of time. I'll be sure we get lunch or something prior to attempting a shoot :) Is there is a certain time of day you normally plan to do shoots at? I'd imagine somewhere between 1-3pm would be ideal being that the sun wouldn't be on top of you, nor would it be setting at all.

The clothing advice is great ... he is a pretty trendy guy, so I will be sure to ask him to keep it somewhat "low key" and not wear anything super bizarrely colored :)

As far as reflectors go; well simply put I don't have them, and even if I did, or could borrow them, I wouldn't even really know how to use them :p I'd love to learn in the future, but I don't think I have the time to do such at the moment. I'll be working with natural lighting, and my external flash if need be -it would be mounted on the hot shoe on my camera though, as I do not have a wireless trigger, or a stand for it to function off camera. Limited resources, I know :| Someday though! 8)

I never thought about a model having to do some work as well. Good to know it is not ALL on me! :) I will do my best to follow those two thing you mentioned you remind your model to do. The posture (guys in, girls out) thing you mentioned is great advice, I will be sure to follow that!

Do you prefer the model look directly into the camera? Or no?

I'm glad you're endorsing the 85 1.8 I have because it is one of my favorite lenses :) Focuses quick, and you've got to be careful when you hold it, because it is sharp as hell :D I rarely shoot wide open, normally 2.0-2.8, sometimes 3.5. Coolness.
I will probably use the 17-40 for a couple shots to give some feeling of "vastness" to the picture, but the 85 is really going to be working!

I considered Sutro Baths, as I've been there many times before, and it is a relatively quiet and great looking place with a lot of structures!
The legion of honor I never thought about though -I'll need to go and scope that out.

I can easily see having a couple act candidly for the camera, but in this situation i will be shooting one person, so how do you recommend I get him to act candidly (being that he has no one to interact with in front of the camera)?

Thanks Art (for putting up with my noob-ishness), you're a life saver. :)

A_Lee said:
You're pictures and style are absolutely stellar IMO, so visualizing your advice is great. There are many other people on forums who give all sort of advice, but none of it is really portrayed through the quality of their photos.

Very flattering, but you'll learn soon enough that you'll be able to get the same and even better shots soon enough. The difference between people on forums talking about advice and those who actually produce good photos is that they actually go and practice what they preach. There's often too many people who just talk about what they've read about, or have a tiny bit of experience. You're on the right track, you're obsessed, like me =) Nothing bad will come out of it, you're just gonna get better, that's a fact. Soon your bar will rise in terms of looking at photos, and you won't take a second look at what most people do (like me!). I hope you keep with it, you have plenty of potential.

A_Lee said:
This person is a personal friend of mine, and we've known each other for a fair amount of time. I'll be sure we get lunch or something prior to attempting a shoot :) Is there is a certain time of day you normally plan to do shoots at? I'd imagine somewhere between 1-3pm would be ideal being that the sun wouldn't be on top of you, nor would it be setting at all.
Winter time you'll have such little time to shoot. In the winter I start pretty early, I go out with my model and usually go get a quick breakfast with mimosas ;) It usually helps her relax a bit. Here's one (though I think it was a hard lemonade type drink rather than a mimosa haha):

Use the lunch hour to travel to another location, and to relax a bit. Not sure how long you plan to go shooting, I usually spend the entirety of the day, including dinner and then hanging out for drinks most of the night. I see photography with models as an all day fun outing =) It's awesome. It's like traveling and exploring the sights but locally (usually) with a purpose.

A_Lee said:
As far as reflectors go; well simply put I don't have them, and even if I did, or could borrow them, I wouldn't even really know how to use them :p I'd love to learn in the future, but I don't think I have the time to do such at the moment. I'll be working with natural lighting, and my external flash if need be -it would be mounted on the hot shoe on my camera though, as I do not have a wireless trigger, or a stand for it to function off camera. Limited resources, I know :| Someday though! 8)
Keep reflectors in mind, they are Amazing.
276062458_dc6bbdf727_m.jpg

Here's a friend of mine assisting and my photographer friend as well from another angle:
301719328_c55c24fce0_m.jpg

A_Lee said:
Do you prefer the model look directly into the camera? Or no?
If it tells a story. If she's just looking at me not really doing much, not that great. But if she looks like she's about to say something to me, or is thinking about me, or something like that, bam, I want those eyes focused. Looking at the viewer is incredibly engaging and important. Looking away is good if you want to portray some long lost thought, but in single model shoots, it's not always the best. If they're doing something, it's fine to focus on another object, but as soon as the model looks away from the camera, the focus is on something else, or at least not primarily on the model. It's either on the scene, a different subject, or a thought. recreations of some situation), just keep that in mind.

Looking towards:

Looking away:

In the former, he's looking right at you. You're engaged. In the latter, he's looking away. You wonder what he's looking at, and what he's thinking about. NOT about him particularly. Both interesting, but you get the idea.

A_Lee said:
I'm glad you're endorsing the 85 1.8 I have because it is one of my favorite lenses :) Focuses quick, and you've got to be careful when you hold it, because it is sharp as hell :D I rarely shoot wide open, normally 2.0-2.8, sometimes 3.5. Coolness.
Remember, I have a bias towards prime lenses. The 70-200 is probably equally as good, I just wouldn't use it personally over something like an 85mm or a 180mm for that matter. Reasons? I love what fixed lenses does for my composition, forces me to think, to move, to be creative. Also has quite the DOF control. Shooting 70-200 at 85mm and at f/2.8 is not nearly as sharp as shooting at 85mm at f/2.8 with your 85mm prime. 70-200 is sharp, no doubt, but probably closer to f/4 or whatever. Oh yeah, avoid shooting wide open, DOF can be so shallow that only a bit of their face is in focus. Stop down a few.

A_Lee said:
I will probably use the 17-40 for a couple shots to give some feeling of "vastness" to the picture, but the 85 is really going to be working!
Yeah use the 17-40 if you have some awesome background. I love the use of wide angles in portraits. A lot of people are afraid of them because of "distortion". =P It's art, not some technical blueprint.

A_Lee said:
I can easily see having a couple act candidly for the camera, but in this situation i will be shooting one person, so how do you recommend I get him to act candidly (being that he has no one to interact with in front of the camera)?
Have him take you around, show you something, talk to you, stuff like that. Talking also sucks, cuz you'll get him halfway through a word and he'll look horrible. Do continuous bursts of shots, especially when talking. But yeah, have him interact with you. Go do something you two would actually go too, but just have a camera and shoot him while you do it. Hopefully the activity is conducive to having a camera handy.

A_Lee said:
Thanks Art (for putting up with my noob-ishness), you're a life saver. :)
I love to help someone who's really going to take my suggestions into practice.

goodluck out there!

Schweet! :) I've got one more final this upcoming Monday, and I will be trying to set up a time to do this. I also have another [photo taking] friend that will be tagging along and doing this for the first time as well, so it shouldn't be too awkward :)
Also, I am not sure, maybe I missed it; but in regards to posing, what mind set do you get into when you want to create poses for someone? I a largely a fan of candid photo taking as you are, but I would like to try and squeeze in a couple of poses if I can.
Love that picture with the lemon btw!

I always enjoy Art's posted photos and advice. Incredible Q&A thread, deserves a sticky :)

Okay, so I got some shots in. The person my friend and I shot had a great time (as did we), and we're going to go somewhere else next week and do it all over again :)
While I did get some keepers, I did notice that some of the pictures look a little soft on the edges of the subject ... is this due to camera shake? On my 3.0" LCD, it is hard to notice these things on the fly; but once on my computer, my subject looked all soft, and almost just wee bit out of focus. I don't think my lens is back focusing or anything, as I've never had the issue before ... ever. I am hoping next time there is a little more light, this way I don't need to bump up my ISO to 700-800 :( Thoughts?

Also, I would really love to capture the eyes of the subject ... I want them to be super sharp! I understand that the wider open I shoot the more careful I am going to need to be in order to get both eyes in focus due to the extremely shallow DOF (esp. at 1.8!). I will probably not be stopping down that far, but rather around 2.8-4, in order to prevent the nose from being out of the focus too :D Should I be selecting my focus points, or letting the camera do so? I've been opting for selecting my own focus points, but wanted to know what other techniques people may be using.

For people I won't shoot wider than F/2.2. For sure you'd probably miss at least one of the eyes. For people I like shooting F/2.8 if I can on my 85mm and my 50mm.

I always choose my own focus points, because I have no idea what my camera thinks needs to be in focus.

Same as Art. I chose my own focusing point. For people, I usually don't shoot beyond f/2.8 even up to 200mm. Most of the time, it's at f/2.

More than once I have seen the general rule of thumb regarding minimum shutter speed: 1/focal length

Say for instance I am shooting with a 50mm 1.8 on my Canon 40D(1.6x). Should I be shooting at at least 1/50 sec., or 1/80 sec.? I got the 1/80 sec. by compensating for the crop factor.

Thanks Art, and Eric! :) I will be sure to continue selecting my own focus points ... I think I may end up sticking with not opening much wider than 2-2.8.

4250385600_8f18817541.jpg

4249610875_0d444dd59a.jpg

4250384082_c1048b9318.jpg

:)
The second picture is the only one of the three that really came out as sharp as I like. The other two are only so-so in my opinion, mainly due to the softness of the picture around the subject ... this is why I inquired about the focus points. I may have just needed more light as well, or bumped up my ISO a little too. I'll play with it tomorrow, as I am seeing her again.
Critique is welcome, but don't rip me to pieces -it was my first try! :D

Great photos =) It's not always about how sharp it is, but how nice the composition is. It doesn't bother me that they're not as sharp as another.

The first I like the most because it seems the most natural, and candid. But that's just what I like I guess. I noticed you didn't like any photos of her looking right at the lens? I think that's fine too.

I saw someone else on SFBAS post a photo of a girl that looks a lot like her recently, his name was Patrick. Same girl? Know the guy?

Thanks for the kind words Art!
Ha! Patrick Binaday? He is my photog shooting buddy! We do most projects together!
We recently shot another mutual friend:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ant_l/sets/72157623068545947/

Back