Our mission

To clean back or not to clean

Dfrashid

Supporting Member
So I’m just curious how many of your referrals clean the back of your tank or just let it grow coralline algae and what are the pros and cons of each I’m fairly new to roofing only been in it for about a year but I do have a good buddy who’s got over 20 years experience but each time I talk to him I’m like a two-year-old that’s always asking why the sky is blue so I’m trying to give him a break lol
image.jpg

I don't like the look of a purple coraline background. Purely for aesthetic reasons as it doesn't provide contrast to see the rockscape and corals. Scraping it down routinely is a chore but a lot easier than doing it after it's been well encrusted.

I used to like all the different colors of coraline that grew on background and sides/purples/reds/oranges. But if an algae bloom pops up your left with tones of coraline chips all over after a scrape. Preferably I keep it clean now but don’t mind it on bottom of bare bottom tank.
Cheers

On my previous tank, I grew GSP on the back wall. Now on current tank, debating if I should do the same. it's getting ugly\dirty in the back now.

Back