Kessil

Travel Agent

If you just care about a hotel and flights, what is gained with a travel agent vs services like expedia/orbitz/travelocity?

Thanks for the input guys.

@Tony- it's nice to have somebody who deals w/ hotels in the Bay Area and is familiar w/ airlines bookings for our guest speakers.

Dude thats part of the job. Use kayak.com.

Besides, its usually best to let them book as they know their travel far better than you or a travel agent.

GreshamH said:
Dude thats part of the job. Use kayak.com.

Besides, its usually best to let them book as they know their travel far better than you or a travel agent.

I know that part of the job. I figure someone who actually knows the hotels we are booking for the speakers would be better. Some old schoolers, like Bob Fenner, wants us to all the booking.

He might end up staying a Chateau Thales though. ;)

Some of us old folks still use travel agents.
Not record players though. Those tend to scratch up those newfangled shiny discs too much.

For something complex or a package deal, they can be a real help, about the same cost, and even sometimes cheaper.
For a business trip booked at the last minute, they can often get better deals, or get you on full planes.
But for a single flight to a know location, booked well ahead - online is really hard to beat.

It's real easy to have the speaker book the flight and the club to book the hotel room, it's what has been done since well before I was involved with the club, we really don't need a third party IMO.

tuberider said:
It's real easy to have the speaker book the flight and the club to book the hotel room, it's what has been done since well before I was involved with the club, we really don't need a third party IMO.
Yup... Old standard. As is The Coral Reef Inn, another old standard.

I think if Jim is handling everything and he wants to use an agency then he should use what he wants.

Its too easy for us to tell someone what to do, if we are not doing the work. As a former BOD member myself, I never liked being told how I should do things. : ) my 2 cents.

I don't mind advice (as long as it makes sense ;)), it's just one less thing for me to worry about. I'm thinking of having them fly into SFO as an alternative, it's like 5 minutes away from me and booking a hotel nearby.

If they are staying with Rich, Oakland Airport works best.

Apon said:
I think if Jim is handling everything and he wants to use an agency then he should use what he wants.

Its too easy for us to tell someone what to do, if we are not doing the work. As a former BOD member myself, I never liked being told how I should do things. : ) my 2 cents.

I think people have been telling him how it has been done up till he took over, no harm in that. Should there be no advice and the new BOD dly on their own?

Did you, have you ever, booked a flight for a speaker for a reef event? ;)

Booked a flight for them.... nope, but I have picked up and driven a couple of them around from the airport, hotel, meeting, dinners, and such.

Back