Cali Kid Corals

Trident : calibration questions

I have two tridents on two systems. I calibrate several days after replacing reagents and find on both systems that measures alk is 1pt (7 VS 8) lower than that measured by Hanna and salifert.
Has anyone tried using ATI Referenz Analytics reference standard? Any better results?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 124
My Tridents match my Red Sea alk kit very closely (+\- 0.2dKH). Just sanity checking are you priming calibration fluid samples before calibrating?

Lucky! Yeah priming and get std container to tank temp. After second calibration I’m within 0.6 better but way off. Will try new Hanna reagent.

I have noticed a distinct difference between my Trident and my Hanna checkers. Sit back, I got some data for ya.

3-6 Set up Trident

3-9 dKh Hanna = 9.5 Trident = 10.9 delta 1.4
CA Hanna = 473 Trident = 540 delta 70

3-10 dKh Hanna = 9.4 Trident = 11.1 delta 1.7
CA Hanna = 543 Trident = 538 delta -5

3-17 dKh Hanna = 9.8 Trident = 11.2 delta 1.4
Retest for belief dKh Hanna = 9.5 Trident = 11.2 delta 1.7
CA Hanna = 473 Trident = 455 delta -21
Retest for belief CA Hanna = 538 Trident = 455 delta -83

3-31 dKh Hanna = 8.1 Trident = 8.2 delta 0.1
CA Hanna = 491 Trident = 431 delta -60

4-1 Replace Trident due to waste line not being connected

New Trident measures closer to Hanna

4-11 dKh Hanna = 9.4 Trident = 9.7 delta 0.3
CA Hanna = 392 (did not write down Trident but noted closer delta)

4-28 dKh Hanna = 8.9 Trident = 8.97 delta 0.07
CA Hanna = 404 Trident = 571 delta 167

In short, the first Trident seemed to be off in dKh from my Hanna while the next unit tracks dKh very well, but trends high on CA by about 70-100 ppm. The trends are pretty good and so I trust both about as far as I can throw them. The Hanna being a little more because it's closer to a baseball than the Trident.

Ask me if you want to see my data book :)

i dont look at cal or mag readings on the trident. alk readings has always been 0.4 - 0.6 off for me. today, its 0.5 lower than what my hanna says. very frustrating.

You have to take into account the accuracy of each instrument. For example, the Hannah checker says it is +- 5% of the reading at 77°. If you read 8dKH, that’s between 7.6 and 8.4. Maybe the accuracy is worse at 78°. So, your differences are always going to be a range.

Thanks H2OPlayer for the data and feedback. So, it is more likely both my tridents are just reading lower than expected and not due to calibration fluid nor the other test kits / methods. One of my tridents I bought new but not motivated to create ticket and return for another. I think I’ll try to adjust to the offset between trident and Hanna hoping that the offset remains consistent!

Back