Kessil

Triops longicaudatus

Nope. I do know someone that did keep them. Interesting inverts.

You getting them from Walmart or something?

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3855.msg45120#msg45120 date=1213044086]
Nope. I do know someone that did keep them. Interesting inverts.

You getting them from Walmart or something?
[/quote]Never been in a Walmart, or Target for that matter. I was just going to order them online.

Hatch them Rich so I can see if it's worth my time :D

Do it, Rich. It's been awhile since I've seen pictures of them.

I have a bag of T. cancriformis eggs that was shipped from Finland. Don't know where I stashed them though...
triops_2304_2.jpg

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3855.msg45129#msg45129 date=1213049002]
Phong said he used to eat them in Vietnam ::)

:D
[/quote]It's in a box with water right? Then dig in!

I got my eggs today! Now I need to get their tank together, it seems odd the instructions say that the eggs will not hatch if the container is larger than a liter, any truth to this? I'm using a 10g tank, does that mean I need to have minimal water in the tank or hatch them in a coke bottle? (I do have a Triops habitat that came with the eggs, but reefers do not use flimsy mini plastic faux ponds).

Come on Rich, it's time for us to become Triops farmers! DBTC Triops anyone?

Easy to test the 1L idea!

It is possible that the there is some hormonal concentration effect which triggeres the hatching. ..like some sort of darwinistic survival thing like turtles where 1 turtle = lunch, but 100 = a chance for several to make it to the ocea.

Dunno? I think it may have more to do with how small the eggs are, they are TINY, perhaps they get lost in all of that water :D

I found some sand I had lying around, and a few smooth river rocks, I think I'll keep the water level low, and add some Spathaphyllum, and lucky bamboo. Oh man is this exciting! I'm the master of a new domain :D

hm....are you going to be the breeder of new ceph food?!!...*cough*..I mean Phong food.
...will RN offer bottled Triops? Quick! beat Gresham to that market!

Gresham raised triops a decade ago and has no plans on utilizing a fW animal with no nutritional value as a marine feed :)

If you ever want some that are way cooler then those I know a place in near Tahoe with some very cool ones :) Pretty large as triops go as well :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3855.msg53636#msg53636 date=1219699016]
Gresham raised triops a decade ago and has no plans on utilizing a fW animal with no nutritional value as a marine feed :)

If you ever want some that are way cooler then those I know a place in near Tahoe with some very cool ones :) Pretty large as triops go as well :)
[/quote]

OK I'll bite, do I need to collect them? Or do you know someone with the LE Triops?

It was a decade ago at least so I doubt they'd be around my house any longer :lol:

I know some one that lives near them though ;)

They look like adult brine shrimp right now. The growth rate is astonishing, I guess they double in size everyday, especially when you feed them live daphnia, glassworms, blood worms, and baby mosquito larvae. It's like a bloodbath!

Sounds pretty cool! I looked into them a bit but was saddened to find how extremely short their lifecycle is (which explains their ravenous appetite and growth rate.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3855.msg54764#msg54764 date=1220987523]
Sounds pretty cool! I looked into them a bit but was saddened to find how extremely short their lifecycle is (which explains their ravenous appetite and growth rate.
[/quote]I'm going to DBTC them when they reach the end of their cycle, you can be the first Tony! They're real easy to propagate, I haven't figured out how to frag them yet though...

Oh boy, here we go again! It's time for a rainstorm :D!!!

If any of you have kids out there (I ate mine) and want to raise a fun creature, the Triops are WAY cooler than Sea Monkeys, I've got a few small semi-aquatic plants (Brazilian Sword [flagrant use of old industry term], Dracaena warneckii, Pothos). This is going to be the best cycle yet (3rd cycle), I'm going to try and feed enough to get more than three to survive the distance without eating each other so I can DBTC a few as they get larger!

Back