High Tide Aquatics

Trying to get good color from Steve Elias Blue Stag

Hi All,

At the MARS frag swap in April I got a small 1" frag of Steve Elias Blue Stag Coral. It has doubled in length and is now branching, but the color just isn't there. It didn't help that I moved, but I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to bring the color back on this coral. I have a Cali Tort, various Monti's, a superman, and other SPS in my mixed reef tank that are doing fine. The coral sits in the upper third of the tank, and gets moderate flow. My light is a 20K Radium 150 HQI (~6month old bulb) and on for 10 Hours/day, the tank is a 28g nano. Parameters are dKh = 10, Ca = 480, SG = 35ppt, Mg = 1400, pH= 8.2, Temp = 78. I have a skimmer on 24/7, and run phosban as well. Any insight welcomed!

Hi All,

Sorry it took so long to post a pic. Unusual business lately. As you can see there isn't much color. A little blue on the tips but that's about it. Could it be that it's getting too much light? It's been like this nearing two months. Thanks, Michael

Coral.jpg

Hmm... Odd things happening with this thread. I posted a picture, but now it's gone. I got an email saying that LeviT had responded to this thread, but I don't see his comments here. Here's the picture again. Hope it helps.

Michael
Coral.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/kamwene/SLeDay5W5BI/AAAAAAAAACA/BGV8fVfMNO0/Coral.jpg

direct link for those having issue viewing (I am on FF and it forces me to download the image)

All I can suggest is patience. I have a colony that colored up beautifully but lost it's color when I changed my lights. It's been under the original lighting again for ~a month and still has yet to get back to "healthy" color.

Yeah I was trying to get you pic situation figured out then I noticed you were working on it so I removed my post to limit the confusion..... the net result was more confusion :)

Thanks Guys!

It's the first time I posted pics with Picasa. I used the right button on the mouse to get the link and pasted it in between the image tags. Perhaps I will try photobucket in the future.

Dyngoe, I wondered about the type of lighting being a reason. I'm curious, when you changed your lights, did you change thetype of light, the Kelvin rating, the type of bulb, both or all?.. Just curious.

I was also curious if anyone who has this coral has found that it likes a particular flow, does it like being in really intensive light (i.e. nearer the top vs. the middle portion of the tank) I know that this is all relative of course. Does this particular coral like really clean SW (this is a mixed reef tank, so the SW has more nutrients than a SPS only tank), etc.

Thanks for the quick responses, and thanks Tony for putting the direct link up.

Back