Jestersix

Tube Anemones

I just had a few questions about tube anemones before considering one for my tank. Question one, would they live under 110w of CP T5s? Question two, would they hurt my clownfish or host my clownfish? My clownfish hate feather dusters and I'm worried they might mistake one for a feather duster and kill it.

if your clown wants to host it it will host it.. just cause its in there doesnt mean it will host it.. and i think they are ok under low light..

They are non photosynthetic and as such they eat small fish and such.

Euphyllia said:
GreshamH said:
They are non photosynthetic and as such they eat small fish and such.

Is a Bangai cardinalfish considered small fish and such?

Like was just said, they'll eat anything they can capture. A BC, a Sailfin tang, etc. What ever they hit will be worse for the wear *if* it doesn't die.

My experience with them was not as bad as I keep seeing here. I have touched them, had one in my hand and did not feel any sting. I had one in my small 12 gallon nano. My book states that some species can pack a powerful sting that can burn or kill fishies, giant clams and other. Again, I didn't feel it from mine. Also, they need to be fed on small planktonic foods. Their tentacles are large, but they are quite delicate and feeding large foods may damage them.

Other anemones sting also. I believe (based on all the info I have read) that you would have a greater chance of a RBTA or GBTA eating one of your aquarium fishies than a tube anemone.

RavieReefer said:
My experience with them was not as bad as I keep seeing here. I have touched them, had one in my hand and did not feel any sting. I had one in my small 12 gallon nano. My book states that some species can pack a powerful sting that can burn or kill fishies, giant clams and other. Again, I didn't feel it from mine. Also, they need to be fed on small planktonic foods. Their tentacles are large, but they are quite delicate and feeding large foods may damage them.

Other anemones sting also. I believe (based on all the info I have read) that you would have a greater chance of a RBTA or GBTA eating one of your aquarium fishies than a tube anemone.

Yup there is no given when it comes to aquaria but when the majority of authorities and experienced reefers have just the opposite experience with them you must ask yourself is what your seeing something that normally happens ;)

I do not subscribe to them being painful to the touch. I've handled thousands of them in my wholesale MO days and never once felt a single sting. However I have seen them gobble just about every kind of MO creature you could toss in a reef aquaria.

I can think of dozen fish/creatures that are immune to BTA and other anemones but I can think of non that are so with tube anemones, non.

I fully aggree with Gresham. I have an orange tube anemone for almost 8 years now and never got stung by it. All fish are smart enough to stay away from its tentacles. Last year I had purchased a Wrasse that jumped out of my tank 5 seconds after I put it in. I immediately picked it up and put it back in the tank but it wasn't doing so good. An hour later I saw the tube anemone had its tentacles wrapped around it and ate the whole fish.

Back