Neptune Aquatics

Tunze mini wavebox vs 2nd generation vortech

Okay, I was always amazed with the tunze waveboxes that I wanted one. But unfortunatly the first ones made were for larger aquariums and would be overkill for my 120. So I wanted and saved money for the tunze mini wavebox which was suppose to launch in Dec 2008 for an xmas gift for my tank. I read that 6 months ago. I was searching through an online shop and saw "new item in" Tunze mini wavebox, did X-mas come early? Anyways, I was also interested in the 2nd generation vortech with its new features! I was sold from a customer who had one, especially if you had a slave to program too! :) Both cost the same at around $400.

Currently running two seaswirls 1 inch with about 600-700 GPH coming out of each and two Korillia 3's. Thanks for the input!

Well I can tell you getting a wave on some tanks might be a helluva lot more difficult than it seems seeing all the Vortech demos at shows (which if you notice are with completely empty tanks). I'm not saying it can't be done but I have not been able to get one on my 6 foot tank, not that it matters mind you, I think waves are a bit overrated now... (mostly because I can't do them :D) that being said I have seen people get them on full tanks, I just think a 6 foot tank is too long for the vortechs to push water that far. A wavebox actually works by physically removing water from the rest of the column (in the box) and oscillating back and forth pushing it in and out, so getting a wave with them is a little easier since you lower the water, and then raise it. However the downside with this is you need to have a big ugly box in your tank :D

I believe I've seen someone DIY a box to make a "Vortech Wavebox", which worked in the same principle. If it were my choice I'd say the vortech, because you may not want a box in your tank, or really care too much about "the wave" so you can at least set it up as a regular pump that has some neat oscillation features.

Mike, you just need to hit the resonant frequency of your tank :-D

I got a vortech and while I could do a wave, I think reefcrest mode is too awesome to pass. The only thing I dont like about mine, is they are a bit noisy.

Bah, resonant is easy to hit if my tank were completely naked, however I have basically a perfect wave guide (square and long) but too many "imperfections" in it.

Give you tank more open area Mike. haha. In my tank the wave is about 1/2" with one pump. I have one on reefcrest and one on short pulse (wave). Only down fall to it is the vortechs are slightly noisy depending on the pump. I have one that is almost dead quiet and 2 that are a little more noticable (this is all at full speed).

Oh, btw with the regular tunze box I know its hard to get much of a standing wave with a 4 foot tank. Its too short of a tank typically.

Back