Reef nutrition

Tunze Osmolator 3

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
Anyone taking the leap on the new Osmolator from Tunze?

The 3155 has always done right by me in the past, but new technology is always intriguing.

looks like they done away with the float switch and have a thermal sensor built in with the optical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103-232123_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103-232123_Chrome.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 65
I like the new design and the pump seems awesome too. I was thinking of just switching the pump out for the $70. But I may just buy the whole osmolator since I personally never used the float switch on my 3155 because the alarm get on my nerves. triggered every time I’d go into feed mode for target feeding or pumps shut down for water changes, or right when pumps turn on after a power outage

I like the new design and the pump seems awesome too. I was thinking of just switching the pump out for the $70. But I may just buy the whole osmolator since I personally never used the float switch on my 3155 because the alarm get on my nerves. triggered every time I’d go into feed mode for target feeding or pumps shut down for water changes, or right when pumps turn on after a power outage

The 3155 comes with a separate magnetic holder for the float switch so you can place it at higher point than it would be when placed on the same holder as the optical switch.

The 3155 comes with a separate magnetic holder for the float switch so you can place it at higher point than it would be when placed on the same holder as the optical switch.
Yes but my last setup my sump was “perfectly” sized some may say undersized lol. So the water would only be 1” from the top of the sump when the pumps turned off. The magnet is like 2-2.5” so the alarm would still always trigger with the float as high as I could install it. Also my ATO res is always usually only about or less than 5% of total water volume where even if the pump got stuck in on mode it wouldn’t be detrimental anyway
I personally like the Tunze nano ATO better because it only has the float switch with no alarm.
This is why I said the new optical/thermal sensor might be ideal. Not sure if this new model has an alarm though- which I find to be more annoying than useful lol

Yes but my last setup my sump was “perfectly” sized some may say undersized lol. So the water would only be 1” from the top of the sump when the pumps turned off. The magnet is like 2-2.5” so the alarm would still always trigger with the float as high as I could install it. Also my ATO res is always usually only about or less than 5% of total water volume where even if the pump got stuck in on mode it wouldn’t be detrimental anyway
I personally like the Tunze nano ATO better because it only has the float switch with no alarm.
This is why I said the new optical/thermal sensor might be ideal. Not sure if this new model has an alarm though- which I find to be more annoying than useful lol

Having your water level rise to within an inch of the top of the sump when the return is off is quite dangerous in my opinion. There are too many subtle ways in which that could end in disaster, for example if your water level in your tank rises by 1/4 inch due to partially clogged overflow combs, or return pump on higher speed, or your overflow valve gets slightly clogged, or whatever. Then your ATO dutifully adds more water over a period of time and when your return shuts off next time it overflows your sump. Sorry I realize I went off topic.

I haven’t used the new Tunze ATO, but I always like to have a mechanical backup for these systems, not just optical detectors. You can alternatively accomplish this with a float valve on the ATO outflow line. I don‘t know anything about the reliability of the new thermal sensor.

Great timing on this question since I will need a new ATO sensor ASAP :). It seems like the 3155 was an established product that people relied on, and with everything, why change something that works? From reading their different manuals, it does seem to be a simplification of the previous version with some 'better quality' components. However, no experience with this product could be a concern? Also, seems like there is a more advanced version planned later this year with WIFI? The old model is now on sale.

In short, the tunze drove me crazy with the alarms. If I had the skimmer shut off for feeding-to high. Other things triggered it as well. You can turn the alarm off if I recall.

The apex worked until it didn’t and the optical sensors failed on occasion that required replacement about once a year. Lastly the actual FMM went squirrelly on me (I realize now it may be the actual energy bar) and my house sitter (thank goodness someone was in the house) had to disconnect/reconnect it twice a day.

I have now moved on to the Red Sea ato.
I know that @Alexander1312 is “taking a break” from their products but so far with its integrated ato, temp sensor and leak detector-it has worked very well. See if it remains that way.

In short, the tunze drove me crazy with the alarms. If I had the skimmer shut off for feeding-to high. Other things triggered it as well. You can turn the alarm off if I recall.

The apex worked until it didn’t and the optical sensors failed on occasion that required replacement about once a year. Lastly the actual FMM went squirrelly on me (I realize now it may be the actual energy bar) and my house sitter (thank goodness someone was in the house) had to disconnect/reconnect it twice a day.

I have now moved on to the Red Sea ato.
I know that @Alexander1312 is “taking a break” from their products but so far with its integrated ato, temp sensor and leak detector-it has worked very well. See if it remains that way.

I did read on reef2reef that the Osmolator 3 does not have an audible alarm (anymore), so this issue seems to have been resolved. But yes, if the experience with the new Red Sea ATO is positive, I will look into this (but still hesitant with RedSea products for a while :)). I did forget about this ATO. Thanks for mentioning this @L/B Block.

For those of you annoyed by Tunze ATO alarms and also using an Apex, the easy solution is to have the ATO shut off when something else is turned on or off that would raise the sump level. Like if your return pump is off or skimmer is off or whatever it turns the ATO off. Plus the advice above that you just place the alarm float switch higher using a different magnet. It is useful to have an alarm sound when your sump level is high unexpectedly.

FYI - The 3155 alarm can be easily adjusted with the jumpers in the control box for three options: no alarm or only sound for too high or for too low. I could not handle all the alarms on multiple tanks going off in my classroom all the time, especially on small tanks with a large surface area. Easy fix.

Yes but my last setup my sump was “perfectly” sized some may say undersized lol. So the water would only be 1” from the top of the sump when the pumps turned off. The magnet is like 2-2.5” so the alarm would still always trigger with the float as high as I could install it.
I had a similar situation due to wide trim on a short tank, but I was able to move the magnet with the float switch higher and use some plastic strips to shim it so it was straight. Worked fine.

I like the simplicity of the new design, but it's going to take some getting used to for me without the visual unit
The 3155 comes with a separate magnetic holder for the float switch so you can place it at higher point than it would be when placed on the same holder as the optical switch
Good to know it comes with magnets now...the ones I've used in the past had two plastic rails that had to be mounted to the wall of the sump
I haven’t used the new Tunze ATO, but I always like to have a mechanical backup for these systems, not just optical detectors. You can alternatively accomplish this with a float valve on the ATO outflow line. I don‘t know anything about the reliability of the new thermal sensor.
Yea, the I can already picture macro gunking it up and causing issues...the float sensors have always been reliable on their ATOs, so I find it hard to change what has always worked before
Great timing on this question since I will need a new ATO sensor ASAP :). It seems like the 3155 was an established product that people relied on, and with everything, why change something that works? From reading their different manuals, it does seem to be a simplification of the previous version with some 'better quality' components. However, no experience with this product could be a concern? Also, seems like there is a more advanced version planned later this year with WIFI? The old model is now on sale.
The 3155 has always been my go to workhorse..never failed as long as it was maintained and not used with kalk. Not sure if I need the model with wifi. Interested if it would offer any more features than if it were plugged In To an apex

For those of you annoyed by Tunze ATO alarms and also using an Apex, the easy solution is to have the ATO shut off when something else is turned on or off that would raise the sump level. Like if your return pump is off or skimmer is off or whatever it turns the ATO off. Plus the advice above that you just place the alarm float switch higher using a different magnet. It is useful to have an alarm sound when your sump level is high unexpectedly.
I like the simplicity of the new design, but it's going to take some getting used to for me without the visual unit

Good to know it comes with magnets now...the ones I've used in the past had two plastic rails that had to be mounted to the wall of the sump

Yea, the I can already picture macro gunking it up and causing issues...the float sensors have always been reliable on their ATOs, so I find it hard to change what has always worked before

The 3155 has always been my go to workhorse..never failed as long as it was maintained and not used with kalk. Not sure if I need the model with wifi. Interested if it would offer any more features than if it were plugged In To an apex

According to Tunze-you are not supposed to do that as it can fry the electronics. Whether that is true-idk.

Back