Reef nutrition

Turbinaria Peltata (cup coral) colors

sid700

Supporting Member
Hello. I'm thinking of buying a cup coral (Turbinaria Peltata) that looks brown. Would this color up under 14k? Or do their colors hardly ever change? TIA

It is a 3 part answer IME
Color can be from environmental factors (ie corals browning out), lack of reflected spectrum, and lack of wavelength intensity for fluorescence.

It is possible that it is brown and will stay brown. It could also morph color over the period of months. It could also have common orange or green fluorescent pigments (which are USUALLY displayed much better with higher kelvin MH vs fluorescent bulbs).

The most LIKELY answer is, it will stay brown, but with a higher kelvin (14k should be fine) MH or good actinics, you'll get some mild fluorescence but don't expect a rainbow

So..maybe. Not the answer you were looking for.

while Tony is right Re: other corals I'm afraid brown is most likely the color it will be. I have a pink, a green with yellow coralite, yellow with green coralite, a purple and soon a blue with green. All came in from the wild that color, never have changed color and during my worst bleaching events never really changed either way. Someitmes a brown will get a yellow hint but it won't go green, etc. They aren't like acros/montis/etc in the fact you really don't know which way a brown will go.

Back