got ethical husbandry?

Upgrading: Help me put together a 50G-55G setup

Hi all, not sure if this is the proper location or if this should go in the members' tank forum....

So, I am thinking about upgrading from by 29G tank to a larger one.... and trying to squeeze this in before the twins come... though I'm cheap and going to try to piece together the equipment used. So, that might take a little time. ;D
I'd like to mostly keep easier SPS and LPS in the tank along with maybe some zoos and perhaps a clam.
I've been doing research, but would welcome some input because I think I have information overload

Tank
The space that I want to put the tank is limited to 36" wide.
So, I have narrowed the choice down to a 50G (36" X 15" X 20") or 55G High tank (36" X 15" X 24")
It seems that going with the deeper (e.g. 55) tank would impact the amount lighting that I need to get

Lighting
I am going to go with Metal Halides and trying to understand

• [li]Single vs. Double end fixtures: what's the difference/advantages of one vs. another[/li]
    [li]The amount e.g. 175W vs 250W that I would need given a 20" or 24" depth tank. I've read that you need ~1 bulb for every 2 feet of length - so for a 36" tank would you go lower with 1 bulb? And wattage seems to be ~ 175W for tanks less than 22" and 250W for deeper?[/li]

Chiller?
I live in SF vs. those of you in the hotter Peninsula and East Bay areas... If I run Metal Halides, am I going to have to get a chiller or will running fans across the water help to maintain temp? I'm hoping to keep the set-up fairly straightforward and avoid too much gear.

I'm pretty comfortable figuring out the flow. The plan is to find a reef ready tank so I can run a sump/refugium. If my 29 (30" long) fits under the stand, I might try to turn it into a sump. Otherwise, I'll probably find a 20G tank somewhere to turn into a sump.

Thanks in advance!

Tank: If you can get a custom 36x20x20. Oceanic used to sell a 50G - 30x18x20 (I think those are the dimensions). It's a great tank.

Light: I'm sure 2x250W 20K would be fine for this tank. SE 250W would be my choice.

Chiller: If your house never get over 75 degree, I don't think chiller is needed. Couple fans would do the job.

Here is my old 50G tank.. I installed the external OF box myself. It's pretty easy to do.
tank1po8.jpg

tank8za.jpg

tank49ew.jpg

Tank: I second the idea of a custom tank. But if you can't get one or it's too expensive, look around for the price of a 40g breeder. I think they're 36x18x16 or so.

Light: you could really make do with either 175 or 250, and ditto for SE vs DE. And in reality you can get away with just one SE bulb with the right reflector.

Chiller: Ya probably won't need it.

I have a acrylic 36"X18"X24"tall internal overflow. Upgrading this week so I will not be needing it. Let me know if you are interested. I also have 2 IC 660, 6 T5 reflectors, endcaps, standoff, bulbs, etc... Also have 3 6025 tunze, 3/4" sea swirl. iwaki with japanese motor, jbj chiller, etc...

Hello George I think Patrick might have what you are looking for.. Check the Buy sell forum.. He had a 65g RR with tank, stand, canopy, icecap t5 retros, sump and return pump for $200.. Killer Deal imho.. It's an aga 65r rr.. I think the measurements are 36x16x25 or something like that..

Thanks all for the pointers. I was able to find Patrick's tank... which leads to another question.

Glass vs. Acrylic
I had been leaning toward acrylic because my understanding is that it is much more durable/leakproof than glass. Is that more of an issue with larger tanks e.g. 100G+ vs. something smaller like a 50-60G?

(I own, but am in a condo building in SF on the 2nd floor.... trying to avoid any large-scale floods ;D )

don't matter how carefull you are, you will scratch the acrylic tank soon or later. A well build glass tank is very strong and last a long time. I will never get another acrylic tank unless it's for a sump.

i have a 50 or 55 gal glass tank that used to be a buddies. He broke it down and sold it to me a while ago. It needs to be cleaned but its glass, with a stand and canopy. Also has a large sump with built in Skimmer. Has 2 or 3 PC with ballasts and what not in the hood. The stand has some salt damage. But hey its used and cheap. Ill give you everything that i have for plus what ever else i have that you might need for 250$. Its a tall tank rather than long. When i get home i can get the dimensions. Has a custom overflow in the tank. Top Left corner.

Should have known that there would be a lot of tanks sitting around. I think my upgrade will still be smaller than most of the sumps you all have.

So, scratching aside... Have folks had issues with leaks, shattered tanks, etc with glass? I know I'm probably being paranoid.

Back