got ethical husbandry?

UPS for short duration (5-10 min)

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Think a few people had some issues with power yesterday and I hope everyone’s tanks are now a-ok as well as rest of their homes.

In terms of my tank-we have solar/battery back up-which is good. However in the transition from grid to battery-there is power loss where everything shuts down and then reboots. My concern is that the sudden reboot can fry either the apex energy bar and/or the other power bar I have for everything else

Anyone have recommendations for an UPS that can keep things going 5-10 minutes while that transition takes place? TIA.

You can keep this plugged in, and then it will switch over when the power goes out

You can keep this plugged in, and then it will switch over when the power goes out
thank you.
Might be a bit overkill for my needs but will check out the brand to see if they have any other models.

thank you.
Might be a bit overkill for my needs but will check out the brand to see if they have any other models.
I have their delta 2 series, 1kw size. Was able to plug in both tanks (50g +20g) with pumps and wavemakers...only pulled ~55 watts an hour. Gives me an easy 10-15 hours of battery coverage (minus the heaters)

i've had my tank/apex restarted during the power out and switching over to battery and everything seems to be fine? did this actually happened to you before?

Bought this today, recommended by telegraham. Still has a 50 USD coupon to get this down to 189 USD. Quite a good price.

IMG_1408.jpeg

Bought this today, recommended by telegraham. Still has a 50 USD coupon to get this down to 189 USD. Quite a good price.

View attachment 52692
Just charge it up and plug in only your necessary/ vital equipment to see how many watts it is pulling and then you'll know how long it will keep your tank protected. If it's not long enough, you can return and upgrade to one of their larger power stations.

Looks like we a re going to get some bad weather again over the next week. Did you get this yet? How is it working for your system?
Good to know. It will only arrive this Friday. Not sure why this Amazon delivery took so long tbh. Telegraham https://www.instagram.com/telegraham?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ== has been posting several posts about his positive experience with it. I have been using a more expensive Schneider UPS with an older battery model for a year now and this pretty much works the same way. So I am not expecting any disappointment. Still, it will not be able to back up my 600 watts heater, but almost no portable battery will. But it will be fine with the MP40s and the return pump.

MP40 each 37 watts max = 74 watts total (I am running them at 50%)
Mighty XL - 85 watts max (I only run this at 60%)
Total = 159 watts max load

The device has 256 wh so this should be able to back up for at least 1.6 hours theoretically (until the generator can be put into action).

Good to know. It will only arrive this Friday. Not sure why this Amazon delivery took so long tbh. Telegraham https://www.instagram.com/telegraham?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ== has been posting several posts about his positive experience with it. I have been using a more expensive Schneider UPS with an older battery model for a year now and this pretty much works the same way. So I am not expecting any disappointment. Still, it will not be able to back up my 600 watts heater, but almost no portable battery will. But it will be fine with the MP40s and the return pump.

MP40 each 37 watts max = 74 watts total (I am running them at 50%)
Mighty XL - 85 watts max (I only run this at 60%)
Total = 159 watts max load

The device has 256 wh so this should be able to back up for at least 1.6 hours theoretically (until the generator can be put into action).

I'd probably run two MP40s instead of your return since they likely give more water movement in the display where all the oxygen consumers are (not fighting head loss etc). The one good thing about the ecotech battery backup is that it does change the flow patterns of the pumps when power is lost. And if you replace it with the Miady lithium iron phosphate battery you get the same capacity as the other backup. Should be easy to buy dead backup units from people that don't know about the modification for cheap too.

I'd probably run two MP40s instead of your return since they likely give more water movement in the display where all the oxygen consumers are (not fighting head loss etc). The one good thing about the ecotech battery backup is that it does change the flow patterns of the pumps when power is lost. And if you replace it with the Miady lithium iron phosphate battery you get the same capacity as the other backup. Should be easy to buy dead backup units from people that don't know about the modification for cheap too.

If you go this route and do loose power, do not let you return pump turn on when the power does. The sump will have been stagnant and could put bad water back into the display. I countered this in my old tank by having a small pump in my sump. This was years ago so I was daring and used a small RIO. Do NOT use a RIO. There are much better pumps available. Have that little pump on the back-up.

Back