Cali Kid Corals

Using a tile saw to cut corals

cwolfus

Past President
So if I want to use a tile saw to cut corals, do I fill the basin or run dry? If wet, do I use tap water or tank water? If tank do I just rinse well afterwards?

C

If it's just light cutting, I've run it dry, or sometimes I'll drip a little tank water on the blade.

If it's some serious fragging and cleaning up rocks off of colonies, I'll put tank water in the basin.

Salt water and power tools... I was a little nervous at first, but when I didn't fry myself, I figured I was ok :D

YMMV :D

You could throw one of the Stanley GFCI's on your saw. They are total crap for reefs because e-ballasts can fool them and make them trip. But super touchy GFCI is probably just what you want on a wetsaw :D

Oh yah, rinse well afterwards.

I was there!

Watching Norm on a tile saw is like seeing someone in Phoenix driving with oven mits during the summer....

"Hey, why didn't i think of that?" :D

C

Those saws do make a bit of a mess. It's amazing to see the coral go through that yet it can't with stand a ph or alk swing :)

Well, you do try not to cut and destroy a ton of tissue.

I like to cut through the skeleton until I get close to the tissue and then break through the tissue or slice it with a sharp razor blade. I think it's better that way than to abrade and damage a lot of tissue and causing all kinds of slime etc.

It's normal in nature for corals to propagate through breakage, and I try to do a clean frag/break.

pH and alk swings are a lot worse :D

And on pH swing...

Normal pH for human blood is 7.35-7.45

If arterial pH drops below 7.35, you can go into a coma.

If it goes below 6.8, then somebody gets to inherit all your corals.

So pH swing is a big deal. You're less likely to die from a clean break in a bone.

Back