Our mission

Using Neptune DOS for automated/continuous water change

Wlachnit

Past President
Does anyone have experience using the DOS unit for automated water changes?

I may free up one of my DOS pumps to do this. I know that you have to be careful to make sure everything is calibrated. Any other gotchas?

I would rather do this than invest in a Genesis Renew system.

I'm using it currently. Been going at it for a few weeks, 4L per day, and all seems well. It doesn't even need to be all that well calibrated. If anything drifts you can adjust how much in and out it pulls to your target salinity. For instance I take out an extra 100ml a day to counteract the rise in salinity from 2 part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also planning to do this. I was wondering if you have found any issues with length of run of the tubing causing issues for the DOS pumps? My DOS will be behind the wall the tank is at, so maybe only 5ft of tubing away, but the NSW will probably be about 20 ft of tubing away and the drain I haven't figured out yet but will be at least as far.

Also, I do also like to siphon the sand once a month or so, so I will also need to have a way to pump in the NSW more quickly. It looks like the DOS would not be able to pump fast enough for that so I will need another pump/tube going from the NSW to the sump for that purpose? Did you guys do this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am also planning to do this. I was wondering if you have found any issues with length of run of the tubing causing issues for the DOS pumps? My DOS will be behind the wall the tank is at, so maybe only 5ft of tubing away, but the NSW will probably be about 20 ft of tubing away and the drain I haven't figured out yet but will be at least as far.

Also, I do also like to siphon the sand once a month or so, so I will also need to have a way to pump in the NSW more quickly. It looks like the DOS would not be able to pump fast enough for that so I will need another pump/tube going from the NSW to the sump for that purpose? Did you guys do this?

Not DOS related, but I also have the issue of NSW flow at lower rate than my drain when I do WC.

I first turn off ATO so it doesn't react to fluctuating water level -> then overfill my tank with NSW -> then clean drain the tank to underfill -> then refill to water line.

I currently dose Alk with a DOS that is about 25ft away with no problem.

I have a 120 gallon tank and I don't think I would use the dos with a system much larger. Terrance at Neptune systems has a 425 gallon system and does AWC's with his dos so it is possible but I think for those larger WCs there are better ways using other pumps and float switches. That being said, I'm very happy with the system I've put together. Right now I only do 1 gallon every night. The waste goes to the nearest drain about 15-20' away and the nsw is about the same distance and the dos has no problem with it. It can handle like 20' of head pressure. Even 100' laterally would be no problem for it.

One thing I do that is a bit unique is I do my WCs off of a single dos head. Because the dos can run forwards and backwards I use a "T" fitting and a couple check valves. When it drains the check valve directs it to the drain then when it runs forwards the other check valve closes and it draws up the nsw. It puts more wear on that head but it frees up the other head to be used for something else. New heads are like $30.

Like Flagg said, long distances laterally are no problem. I manually stir my sand a few times a week instead of siphoning now. The sand is nice and white, it feeds my corals, and I don't need to vacuum (which I always found to be a pain in the butt).

Fascinating idea using one pump head. If I ever need another head for dosing something else I might set that up.

Thanks, very helpful info. Using 1 head is intriguing to me since I was also playing with the idea of using DOS for carbon dosing which could use the other head and avoid having to buy another unit (in addition to the one for 2-part).

Yes, clever setup to allow just 1 head to be used.

Yeah...since my water volume is 400g, I've been wondering if changing out 3 to 4 gal a day with the DOS would be taxing on the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I manually stir my sand a few times a week instead of siphoning now.
Not to hijack the thread, just a quick newbie question on "stirring the sand" I thought the sand was there to grow anaerobic bacteria. If you stir it and aerate it, doesn't it become a nitrate factory? Also, doesn't stirring it allow crap to get trapped in it?
Mark

Not to hijack the thread, just a quick newbie question on "stirring the sand" I thought the sand was there to grow anaerobic bacteria. If you stir it and aerate it, doesn't it become a nitrate factory? Also, doesn't stirring it allow crap to get trapped in it?
Mark
I think it's an older theory about deep sand beds that you're working from. I have a shallow sand bed and I don't use my sand bed for filtration. I've got 10L of siporax in the sump that has all the surface area I need. Stirring the sand bed prevents "old tank syndrome" and keeps detritus suspended and filtered out of the water column.

Deep sand beds that are 5-6" deep were required to get anaerobic bacteria going. I think a lot of reefers have moved away from using a deep sand bed. If you are going to have a sand bed, then I would recommend a shallow sand bed of only 1-2". Don't go deeper than that.

Oops...now I've really taken my own thread off topic.

One thing I do that is a bit unique is I do my WCs off of a single dos head. Because the dos can run forwards and backwards I use a "T" fitting and a couple check valves. When it drains the check valve directs it to the drain then when it runs forwards the other check valve closes and it draws up the nsw. It puts more wear on that head but it frees up the other head to be used for something else. New heads are like $30.

Ok. We need pictures and/or a diagram! I'm working on the Father's Day present. (Betsy here.) @Gablami was saying he learned from you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back