Neptune Aquatics

UV lighting? good or bad?

I really depends on the tank. IME they are a great tool if you have micro algae problems and run a dirty mixed type reef with lots of fish. The reason being that when you wipe the tank down the majority of the micro algae is killed and skimmed out giving you more time in between wipe downs. I've had troublesome tanks that you wipe down and a few hours later you can see an algal film developing on the glass, the UV prevents that from happening.

Do I have one on my tank? Hell no!!! A good reefer should not need one, service accounts are different than our babies at home.

I use UV to slow down ich. IME, it helps because when I turned it off for another issue, the ich replicated fast and there was no turning back. When I turned it back on for about 5 days I noticed my water gotten better, clearer. I think I am using 50 watts bulb.

Jeremy and Thieu is dead on. I wouldn't use it on a reef tank (especially if your feeding routine includes micro algae supplementation) but I do find it very helpful on fish only tank.

Back