Vanderbuilt Chromis (Chromis vanderbuilti)

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Erick, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Erick

Erick Guest

Anyone have experience with this fish? would they get aggro against a green/blue chromis, would they work with occellaris clowns?

2. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

very fragile!!

3. I had a small school several years ago. They were quite difficult to get but after seeing them in the wild they looked like really neat little peaceful fish. I think I originally got 5 or 6 and put them in a 180 mixed reef. For a couple weeks they were OK but then they started dropping off one by one. After losing the first one I watched the school closer and observed that there was quite a bit of harrassment of the lower rung fish by those higher in the pecking order. Despite increased feeding and a few other fish in the tank (angels, tangs, clowns) the #1 fish eventually knocked off all the others, and in pretty short order if I recall (matter of a couple days). They are really pretty little fish but beware of the school heirarchy (at least in my experience).

4. Erick

Erick Guest

Thanks very helpful :)

5. Thales

Thales Past President

They don't really school like other chromis. It is suspected that the fight with each other which leads to poor health.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I noticed that with my green chromis as well, initially schooling, but like most "schooling" fish probably were doing so instinctually for protection from predators, after a few months with no predators then it's fair game smaller ones get picked off, larger one gets larger. However I did see the "top two???" spawn regularly in one corner of the tank :D