Reef nutrition

Very Puzzling Thing Came Up - Any Ideas?: Stray Voltage

I think 25v will STN his coral and prevent him from having a healthy fish.

I remember once, Rob from neptune had huge coral loss from a 20 or 25v from a broken heater..you can ask him about it and he will tell u how harmful 25v is..
It’s more like 28-30 volts. Plugged it into a grounded outlet as someone recommended and it dropped to 7 volts. Still too many? Is the goal here 0?

It’s more like 28-30 volts. Plugged it into a grounded outlet as someone recommended and it dropped to 7 volts. Still too many? Is the goal here 0?
I think if its real and not reading error u need to fix its
Not something thsy must be fixed immediately. But not something u sleep on.

Acceptable is in milli volt. 7 is way better than 30v. But still u want it go to sub 1v if possible.

Ok thank you. I would like to include my coral have been looking worse this week. I thought it was because I was a week behind on my water change but it seems like this may have been the culprit. I’m gonna try to isolate the voltage while grounded now and see if i can find the 7 volt source

Check this video...
Yeah that exact concept (same as like a bird landing on a power line) was why I was thinking this may not be an actual issue. As long as there's no path to ground there should be no current, however I am not sure if it is somehow grounding else where that I am unaware of which would then mean there's a current flowing through the tank which would definitely be an issue.

A person can become one with the force and no one has to be a Jedi/Sith.
Electricity searches for the closest/shortest point to the ground; the aquarium is just a part of that path to the ground.

Would anyone be willing to test the voltage in their tank for me if they have a multimeter? Curious what everyone is sitting at. I just put the red lead into my sump and the black on my ground and read the AC Voltage. I unplugged the heaters and dropped to 2.1 volts which was about 5 volts from the heaters. I have 2 300W Cobalt Neo-therms and would prefer not to replace them if unnecessary because they're not that cheap.

Remove piece by piece of equipment while at the same time having a volt meter; one probe in the water column and the other to a ground source.
Yeah that's what I'm working on right now. Unplugging my pump actually raises the voltage reading... any idea why?

I have a meter you can borrow, in SF.
But if the heaters are the suspects of that; might become a matter of time before they release all 120v in there. If the heating element goes bad, all those amps will look for a way out...

I have a meter, I just want to compare my reading to other people's readings to see if a normal tank is actually sitting at 0 or <1 volts. Unplugging my heaters drops me 5 volts so down to 2.2 volts while grounded.

Yeah that exact concept (same as like a bird landing on a power line) was why I was thinking this may not be an actual issue. As long as there's no path to ground there should be no current, however I am not sure if it is somehow grounding else where that I am unaware of which would then mean there's a current flowing through the tank which would definitely be an issue.

With no path to ground, there’s no circuit; there’s current but the circuit is open.

I read you have all Kessil; by any chance, do you have any goosenecks and the metal piece happens to contact the water?
I have 4 of their metal brackets and all are partially submerged in the water. Just unplugged all the lights and reading only dropped from 2V to 1.8V.

I think I found a culprit. One of my sensors on my ATK, quite odd. When I unplug one of sensors the reading drops from 2V to 1V which is more of a major drop than I've seen from anything else. I was getting some weird readings last week so that's why I checked it.

Where I'm at right now. Grounded outlet: 7 volts

In this order...

Unplug heaters: 2V
Unplug optical sensor: 1V
Unplug skimmer: .6V
Unplug all lights: .2V
Unplug apex probes (red and blue): 0V

Seems like culprit is mainly the heaters. If someone could check their stray voltage I'd really appreciate it and then I'll decide where to go from there. Thanks!

Seems like culprit is mainly the heaters. If someone could check their stray voltage I'd really appreciate it and then I'll decide where to go from there. Thanks!
I only use a voltage tester "pen" to test my tank, which I believe goes off if it senses any voltage above 0. The tank stays voltage free according to the pen, but I did put a grounding probe in there anyway for extra safety

Back