Very small pod, help ID

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by zepplock, Aug 24, 2010.

1. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I looked at my tank with a flashlight yesterday and after seeing normal large and smaller pods found tiny ones...

More like bugs than normal pods, size 1/2 mm to 1 mm, look like mini-armadillos in shape and have 2 very small antennas in the front.
    Very small size but looked like that have a shell or a pretty hard-looking body.
    They were all over the corals too, especially zoa and montis. Lots on the sand and rocks.

When bright light touches them - they can detach from glass and either swim away or get moved away by the water movement.

Is that a common bug or something bad?

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sounds like an amphipod, not a bad thing.

3. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I don't think so, even though I have a lot of amphipods too.
    I looked through pics of isopods, copepods and amphipods and could not match it.
    The bugs are much smaller and have no visible legs, not c-shaped. They have unibody, no evidence of body segments.

p.s. Assuming I had jellyfish in my tank for a long time, I'm not surprised this could be something weird.

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Then your armadillo reference makes no sense since they have a segmented shell *AND* legs ;)

I highly doubt you had "jellyfish" either.. most likely just a medusa form of something else, that is fairly common.

No telling with out a pic, good luck

5. zepplock

zepplock Guest

p.s. good article here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/podidfaqs.htm

Looks like Ostracods
    The closest pic i can get is this: [​IMG]

6. zepplock

zepplock Guest

Thanks for comments Gresh. I meant that they have armadillo-like shape. Kind of like elongated egg shape.

I know hard to describe. one more pic that is closer:
    [​IMG]

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Ask Leslie about them.

8. LeslieH

LeslieH Guest

Looks like you find the id for yourself. There are about 6,000 species with a variety of feeding strategies - detritivores, algae-eaters, micro-grazers, plankton feeders, filter feeders, scavengers, predators. A few - few enough that you don't have to worry about it - are parasitic on other inverts.

9. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I think they're called bedbugs :p

V

10. zepplock

zepplock Guest

Only if you spend a night underwater!