Kessil

Very Small Snail ID...They aren't Pyriamid Snails

Hi All,

I noticed a recent population boom with these snails in the last 1.5 months. Don't know anything about them and wondered if anyone has some insight. Note: The one image shows a ruler behind the snail indicating its overall length to be 2mm across.

Snail1.jpg

snail2.jpg

[quote author=bluenassarius link=topic=4519.msg55112#msg55112 date=1221159941]
collinista?
[/quote]

Looks like it to me too, they're very common.

Awesome Guys!!! Thanks!!

I'll google Collinista and see what more I can find out.

They don't seem to be doing anything that has a negative consequence, I was just curious as to what they are.

They breed like rabbits, and eat a bit of microalgae. I reckon if you were to look at your tank at night you'd see a whole bunch of them.

Yep, it's true Jeremy, I noticed them at night, out in numbers, that's why I was curious about them... Learn something new everyday about this hobby!

[quote author=Mike1962 link=topic=4519.msg55117#msg55117 date=1221160842]
Awesome Guys!!! Thanks!!

They don't seem to be doing anything that has a negative consequence, I was just curious as to what they are.
[/quote]

Other then clogging filters & pumps and scratching acrylic if under your scrubber, they are a wonderful addition top your tank :) Just don't leave your cleaning magnet in your tank and push them off gently with you hand prior to cleaning your tank :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4519.msg55545#msg55545 date=1221449839]
[quote author=Mike1962 link=topic=4519.msg55117#msg55117 date=1221160842]
Awesome Guys!!! Thanks!!

[/quote]

Other then clogging filters & pumps and scratching acrylic if under your scrubber, they are a wonderful addition top your tank :) Just don't leave your cleaning magnet in your tank and push them off gently with you hand prior to cleaning your tank :D
[/quote]Excellent point Gresham, I've had more than one client ruin tanks using a magnet and a snail to clean they're acrylic. I have to go around and knock them off before wiping down.

Thanks Gresham for making that point, a good one to remember, especially since my tank is acrylic! When cleaning, I do knock them off, and fortunately they don't seem to try and resist all that much.

I scratched a $30K tank (1/4 million dollar install) with those damn snails. It truly sucked getting the scratches out, but the other option was to hire a guy from ATM to drain and fix the tank and I surely was NOT going to drain a 2 year old thriving tank to fix a scratch on the bottom 2 inches of a 48" tank (680g).

They make WONDERFUL wrasse food by the way :) I used the above mentioned system to feed the tank I serviced after it (fish only) :D

hey greshamh, i have a small magnet and i leave it in my tank all the time ! but my tank is glass .do i need to take it out? and i have a lot of snails. i was told that to have a happy tank i need snails. lost in oklahoma

Back