Neptune Aquatics

Vortech flow rates

Unfortunately, the dynamic range of a vortech has the potential to be good and piss poor.
It can be set from 3000-1000gph. But 1000gph is the hard minimum. So if you need to run it normally at 1000gph...and you want feed mode, the pump slows down to....1000gph. If you want to do a pulse or reefcrest or wave, the pump will slow down to...1000gph.

The vortech shines when you can run it at 3000gph, but that is a lot of flow for some and not much for others.

That all said, I am considering buying one and not sure if I should get the MP40w or MP20 since I have a 40g (36x15x16H). If you own a vortech, what are your thoughts? What flow rate do you have your pump at in what size tank?

10 gallon tank with vortec running at ~70% of output so I say go w/the MP40W.

The flow is kind of diffuse; just don't put anything near the output of it.

Yeah keep in mind that it can blast tissue off of acros within 10"s of it if on at full blast. (Ive done it)

I keep mine full blast on my 150, but in reef crest mode, the output only hits top speed for small amounts of time.

I'll have corals within ~ 6-10" of the face. Sounds like I will want the 20 so that I can have a larger differential.
I don't want to be create a snow storm of coral tissue

Just place the coral on the side of it. I have the MP40W mounted on the back of the tank. Front to back, it's only 10", so the vortec front isn't very far away from the corals.

Wouldn't work too well Eric. It basically would replace my Koralia Farm and would take up residence on the side pointing right at the corals (like where the koralia is in the upper right (obviously a little lower so it doesn't suck in a tornado of air)
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=282

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3920.msg46005#msg46005 date=1213718814]
Would you like the batter backup and 1 pump for each of the tanks you just picked up from me too?[/quote]

Actually 1 battery and 2 pumps for my display tanks fine since you offered :) Seriously though, I was planning on using 1 for a sump and the other will be a frag tank. I'm thinking I'll set up a least 4 Maxi Jets for the frag tank.

Im sure you can work a mp40w in there, I was just making sure you know that it is possible to hurt your corals if they are too close when on fullblast. Im able to keep my vortechs 4-5 inches from the top without getting too many air tornadoes.

I disagree with the MP20, first it's the same damn footprint in the tank, so you're not getting a smaller foot print, and the Vortech cranked down to low really isn't that strong of a flow because the flow is so dispersed, hell a 295gph maxijet will feel like a stronger flow!

Get the adult version of the Vortech :D

ok :) I'm going to hunt you down with a zoa laced stag frag spear if you are wrong!

That said, I guess that means I'll have a Gen 2 by the BOD meeting if people need to upgrade their firmware. (I think I can make it to the BOD lol)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3920.msg46081#msg46081 date=1213731056]
ok :) I'm going to hunt you down with a zoa laced stag frag spear if you are wrong!

That said, I guess that means I'll have a Gen 2 by the BOD meeting if people need to upgrade their firmware. (I think I can make it to the BOD lol)
[/quote]

Tony, can we update the firmware off your wireless controller? How does that work? I don't understand lol.

Back