Neptune Aquatics

Vortech Pump - Who's getting one - Who has one?

Yep, now that the OM is sold I'm looking to upgrade.

My tank is in the corner so I have a wall that I can utilize to "hide" i.e. use low-profile pump.

I have looked briefly at the Tunze's. I think if I already owned a Tunze pump and controller then I would more than likely pick up a nano stream.

let me know when you get one, I'm curious to see in person what they can do, upwards of 3000 gph, not bad, but for $350 a pop it really would need to impress me before I throw down that kind of scratch.

Yeah, no kidding right.

Here's the part which piqued my interest: 3000gph at about 45 watts - run it at let's say half that 1500gph at about 25w to 30watts. ;D The battery back-up feature is real nice too.

This is not what I am looking forward to - ::)

If I want to use the controller with it (no wired controller) you will have to send in the pump and they will replace out the circuit board for a FEE. :( Ecotech Marine and IceCap have not released what that upgrade/replacement fee is. The idea they are still playing with is to possibly offer units with the old boards as reconditioned units (assumably at a lesser price).

There is still no pricing for the controller yet. They are planning on releasing it around the summer or so of 2007. Upgraded units will be coming out around that time as well.

From what I have been reading on RC is that the battery back-up will kick in every time if you are using a wave making device. A wave maker essentially cuts the power and turns it back on for a pre-defined time, well the batttery back-up senses the power being cut-off and turns itself on. ??? What the heck right?

I think that the upgraded units will work with their controller device as well as the battery back-up as it probably never cuts the power completely but just turns it down a couple of notches and then turns it back up.

How much is the battery backup?? I know you want to get the Vortech but look into the nanostream also. 6045 is less than 1/3 of the the Vortech and only use 7.5W. They are pretty small too.

Battery backups run about $150... I know we just had the whole heatwave/loss of life debate but dayum!

ANd yes 1/3 the vortech, but also 1/3 the water movement, not to mention cords in the tank, etc etc.

That's very true. I ideally would like to get away from a bulky powerhead that is affixed to the side of my tank. At the moment, I have the two returns and two maxi-jet pumps which actually create a good amount of flow in my tank.

Everything is basically pointed toward the front pane of the glass (specifically in the middle). As stuff hits the front pane it glances downwards and creates a bit of an undertow. Polyp extension is good and even the clam mantles sway in the current (they are at the bottom of the tank).

So with that much flow one would wonder why the heck do you need more? My concern is the area behind my rock structure between the two overflow. It's empty space. For the moment it's not collecting detritus, but as I add more livestock I can see it becoming an issue. This tank unlike my 58g has a shallow sand bed, so crazy ass flow is not really an option. My goal is to get at least one of the returns pointing in that general area in the back, and using some other pump for current in the front half of the tank.

Well, I ordered one up from Marine Depot and it should be coming sometime next week.

For those that expressed interest I can bring to the Holiday Mixer if there is enough interest

I've got one of the vortechs. I showed one at the Corals farmer market a while ago and they are cool. I also have tunzes and the controller function is cool. Personally I hate having anything in the tank so the small footprint of the vortech is nice. The other thing that people don't realize about the vortech is how wide the flow is on these things. I thought aiming it was going to be an issue until I got one. Unless you have a huge tank you really don't need to aim it because the flow is really, really wide.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=1513.msg13297#msg13297 date=1164917834]For those that expressed interest I can bring to the Holiday Mixer if there is enough interest
[/quote]

Yes, please. I'd like to know / see why these guys are worth the $350 each w/o the controllers and w/o the battery back up.

No idea -

Maybe - just maybe we can ask ASAP to borrow a hose to fill up the tank (maybe outside) and ask for an extension cord (on second thought I'll bring mine).

I'll bring my water change pump and hose to drain the water back out.

I just picked up my Vortec and Battery backup at Ocean Treasures today. I will setup tommorrow, since Eileen will bring hers to the meeting. Justin is matching the Marine Depot price, but he probably give Bar members a discount....but we can't post or advertise the discount if he gives it.

ok I just plugged it in and all I can say is Wow! I have it on the left side on my 120 and even on low it moves alot of water...on high it almost pushes water out of my tank. Way cool! Now I just need to connect the battery backup.

Back