High Tide Aquatics

Wavemaker Comparisons? Vortech V.S. Tunze? DIY Box?

I found some really good deals on a few wavemakers. The Tunze 6202 box (400ish used), a vortex mp40 (365 shipped), and the DIY wavebox on rc. I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck.. So I am seeking some advice on which one to pick? What are your experiences? Any other other models? I have a 135g 72"x18" rectangle tank with the built in overflow in the left back corner. I was thinking the Vortech but how many pumps will i need? Will a wavebox be better? Any advise would be welcome!
Ray

Both units are good.

Vortech pump is a third of the size as far as what sits inside the tank.

Wavebox is about the size of a large cup from Peets or grande sized Starbucks (I'm staring at a large cup of coffee from Peets) sitting in the tank.

Wavebox needs at least six foot tank to work with which yours is.

No right or wrong answer depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I think the Vortech might give you more random patterns than a wavebox will.

I am referring to the wavebox with the idea that this is the original Tunze wavebox which contains a Tunze pump and a variable speed controller.

awake ? :) thanks for the reply .. on the vortech.. will one suffice on my tank or do i need an extra slave pump? And as to what I am trying to do ..is get good flow in the tank... I want to make sure there is water moving all over, and after doing alot of reading I heard that wavemakers were the way to go.. without losing too much real estate.

Power heads all over are ugly..I already have my main pump pushing water into the tank.. I was thinking 1" sqwds but then I looked up the reviews and decided against that one.. Thinking that flow in the tank is important. The setup right now is the return pump just blasting water and the power heads spreading it. That isn't random and i would like to fix that.

I am liking the vortech .. but am wondering if that single unit is enough? have you tried both the vortech with one pump? or the tunze box?

I agree with Jeff.

I think even with a Wavebox you will need something other kind powerhead whether it will be another Tunze pump or something similar

Never managed to get a wave in a my tank with 2 vortechs, but then again, I don't really think the wave is necessary, I'd rather have the flow.

Same as Mike for me... no wave but fantastic flow and surface tension with 2 MP40's in my 120. I keep mine dialed back right now because it's too much flow for my tank... but as everything grows in I'm sure I'll crank them up to max!

Sounds like we need Jake to come out and teach you all how to make waves using your Vortechs. You should see the waves he gets from even using one!

You can't compare a wave box to a power head of any sort, they do different things accept when talking about a Vortech. The wave box doesn't create much flow while the Vortech highly does. Both make waves if properly tuned.

I'm sitting here with Jake and he thinks 2x MP40's would be the way to go for you :)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6938.msg89862#msg89862 date=1237386411]
Never managed to get a wave in a my tank with 2 vortechs, but then again, I don't really think the wave is necessary, I'd rather have the flow.

[/quote]

There doesn't need to be any compromise when speaking about waves and Vortechs.

Sounds good to me... tell me when and where...

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6938.msg89886#msg89886 date=1237392688]
Sounds like we need Jake to come out and teach you all how to make waves using your Vortechs. You should see the waves he gets from even using one!
[/quote]

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6938.msg89889#msg89889 date=1237392989]
Sounds good to me... tell me when and where...

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6938.msg89886#msg89886 date=1237392688]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not on the BOD, poke them and I'll facilitate it :D If not, maybe I'll bring in back out for BAYMAC June 13th.

IIRC from Jake's last lecture, one request he had was "please don't ask a ton of questions like 'how can I set up a good flow pattern in my tank specifically'" :D

As to vortechs and waves, I realize they work on a different principle than waveboxes, but its just something that's not terribly important to me. Granted I do use the pulse effect (the LONG one), but I use it to simply switch the direction of current in my tank (well when all my vortechs are working properly that is :| )

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6938.msg89893#msg89893 date=1237393469]
IIRC from Jake's last lecture, one request he had was "please don't ask a ton of questions like 'how can I set up a good flow pattern in my tank specifically'" :D

As to vortechs and waves, I realize they work on a different principle than waveboxes, but its just something that's not terribly important to me. Granted I do use the pulse effect (the LONG one), but I use it to simply switch the direction of current in my tank (well when all my vortechs are working properly that is :| )

[/quote]

For that lecture that's what he wanted, but it doesn't mean he can't put together one about creating waves. He's actually got that one, I caught it at his first REEFstock last year. Makes me wonder why you even posted in this thread re: Waveboxes :p

Some animals thrive much more with a back and forth motion.

2 vortec not synched and operating at a slightly different short period frequency such that their beat frequency is resonate for wave action. THAT would totally rock. I'll see if I can get a couple of graphs up to explain what is happening analytically, but the short version is, your tank alternates between wave action and turbulent mixing. The more I think about it, the more awesome it sounds.

I have 3 vortechs and a tunze nano wave box on my tank. I get a swirling wave with my setup. :) If it were me, you know what my answer would be. Get them all. haha

so, here is what I ment. The red trace and blue represent the pulse characteristics of two pumps on opposite sides of the tank set to be 5% out of phase of each other where one pump is set to the maximal single pump wave freqyency. The black circles are when they are antisynch (wave) and green is when they are synch (turbulent) in between is a mix of the two to varying amounts. I wish I had 2 vortechs to demo/try this out lol.

I use two Tunze 6000s hooked up to an Aquasurf for my AC3 and I generate a 1" - 1.5" wave in my 4 foot tank. On a 6' tank I could probably get a much much larger one.

Back