High Tide Aquatics

weird ro/di question

So about two to three months ago I bought a used ro/di unit with a three gallan storage tank. When I bought the unit it was used with water sitting in it. They said they did that for storage do I didn't think anything of it. Well I took it home and hooked it to my refrigrator and then T'ed off of another line for filling my 5 gal jugs. Well there is another filter in my fridge. And I just realized today it a filter for taste and smell. I ended up getting a glass of water from where I fill my jugs today because it has better water pressure when it low than the fridge. And when I went to drink the water it reaked of a moldy smell. And tasted moldy. I just tried a small taste.

So my question is, what's wrong? Could mold have grown while it sat? could ol filters affected my tank? I have been having major issues since about the time I got this unit. But I have also bad a bad skimmer. Has anyone ever heard about this? Lol, am I going to die if I have been drinking moldy water?

I have no experience with RO/DI units but if I was you, I wouldn't have bought new filters and drained the tank, but that doesn't answer your question.

i did that when i hooked it up. I Let 20gallons run though it before using it. Im now wonering about the storage tank. When it was comming off the filter directly it was fine.

Which one did you drain, the good water coming out from RO/DI or the waste water? You might want to flush your pressurize storage tank, too. Also, remember the drinkable water is the one coming out of the RO and not from the DI. The DI output is the one that should go to your fish tank. Water coming out from DI will have some taste in it.

so is drinking the Di water bad? I dont have it seperated. I have the ro/di water run to the storage tank and to the fridge. I didnt know you needed to seperate them.

Have you physically inspected the pre-filters? the membrane? It might just be mold, especially if it wasn't doing anything while holding water for a while mold could form I guess. I don't know why the tank itself was filled with water while being stored though, RO membranes should remain wet yes, but a tank?

Try this, remove the tank from the equation and pour a glass directly from your RO unit, sure it might take a while to fill up, but if it doesn't taste/smell bad you probably can zero in on the tank being the cause.

I don't know why it happens but my grandmothers ice machine use to have little tiny specs of green mold in or on the ice. We usually just emptied the ice bin 2-3 times and it was gone.

well i ended up taking the ro/di unit apart and found that i desperatly needed new filters. there was a really nice Biological groth comming out of the DI filter. So i took it as a oppurtunity to upgrade my system. So i added bigger lines, changed to snap lock fittings. THen i replaced all the filters and added a second storage tank.

Back