What are you using for powerheads ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tankguy, Feb 17, 2018.

1. tankguy

tankguy BOD

Curious to see what others are using? Ive been using the Jebao's for awhile and am thinking of making a change

2. A mix of Vortechs and Gyres, but if I were buying only one at this point it would be Gyres.

3. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

Vortech's, MP10's and MP40's. I really like the MP10's, but the MP40's are not my favorite. Mine need to be cleaned pretty frequently and it seems every month or two, one "decouples" and I have to fish out the wetside and reconnect.

4. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I am using 6 of these. 1,300 gph and the best part, only $12 each
    s-l1600.jpg

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Rossmont Wavers have so far given me a good mix between affordable (i.e. not Tunze/Vortech level of price), power/energy ratio, and not crapping out over a year or so because the driver is horribly made, or the power supply is horribly made or the pump is horribly made.

6. Tmjvb

Tmjvb Supporting Member

I've been shocked by these multiple times. It isn’t pleasant haha.

I run MP40s and a jebao rw-15. Im looking to upgrade the jebao to a gyre soon.

7. Rossmont's are the best value on the market for quality Powerheads.

8. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Maxspect gyre XF250’s. One on each side of the 160g display, alternating gyre. Much better than the (admittedly older) Vortech’s I also have but no longer use in my main tank.

9. I am adverse to putting things that give me an electrical shock into water.

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Vortechs. 3 Mp40s and 1 mp60

11. Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be on a nude beach on an island right now?

12. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I have found 1 issue with the Rossmonts. They put out a fair amount of EMI. Enough to cause erroneous readings in pH and Salinity probes.

WAVs in the 190 n MP10s in the 40b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I use 2 MP40s in Reefer 250 and 1 MP10 in IM Lagoon 25

14. Tmjvb

Tmjvb Supporting Member

Really?
    Suit yourself haha.

15. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

MP10 that i got from wraffle, and working on getting a new jebao controlled by reef-pi, so that will join the tank soon ,,

16. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I have tried a LOT of powerheads.
    Koralia Magnum : cheap, very quiet, low energy use, but tend to die in a year or less.
    Koralia Gen3 : Very low flow for what is advertised. Clog easy. Avoid.
    Tunze : good, expensive, not that power efficient, quite, very adjustable direction, very reliable.
    Rossmont : Noisy, and seem like flow is lower than advertised, but not bad.
    MPxx : Nice, but you cannot direct flow, and you must carefully align wet/dry sides.
    Gyre : Nice, but noisy. But I had an early generation, supposedly quieter now.
    Jabao : Cheap, slightly noisy, but pretty good in general.

So my general suggestion: Tunze

17. ancientz

ancientz Supporting Member

Gyre XF-230 on one side, jebao wp-10 and wp-25. Will get another gyre when I can and sell the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. tankguy

tankguy BOD

Thanks to all that replied. I appreciate the imput

19. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

i bought a icecap gyre 1k, it arrives next week. ill let you know how i like it!

tankguy likes this.
  20. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Tunze stream 3 and mp60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro