Cali Kid Corals

what do you think warcoral?

nash

picked this up at the swap. Didn't think it is but I found it in the back of my rockwork and it really started to color up. Can't really see it but at the top if the coral the center green is larger then the rest as it grows. Maybe it will turn into a warcoral. O.K. maybe not ;)
warcoral.jpg

Can't turn into something it isn't :D It looks similiar, but IMO it's not a Warcoral (one with lineage, traced back to Matt). It may be a favitis pentagonia, but it's not a WC if it doens't have the lineage ;)

Might be the Favites pentagona that Jim and I picked up from Atlantis for BAR to put into the swap. Big colony that gave us like 40+ frags :D

No lineage to Matt's though. Was it in a plastic deli container labeled F. pentagona, P. pantalones, Flavaflav poontajoona or some other funny mispelling? Those cracked me up :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=1905.msg18343#msg18343 date=1175800902]
Might be the Favites pentagona that Jim and I picked up from Atlantis for BAR to put into the swap. Big colony that gave us like 40+ frags :D

No lineage to Matt's though. Was it in a plastic deli container labeled F. pentagona, P. pantalones, Flavaflav poontajoona or some other funny mispelling? Those cracked me up :D
[/quote]
So warcoral is coined by Matt and only the corals linage traced back to him would be a warcoral? So any other that look like it can't be called a warcoral. i got to see the warcoral in person. I checkout the one at Lucky goldfish but it wasn't as bright as Matt's.
BTW: ANyone has a small frag for sale? one eye would be good?

Yah, War Coral refers to that specific lineage. Otherwise it's red with green eyes pentagona.

The Atlantis/BAR one is very nice. That's why we snagged it for the swap :D

So warcoral is coined by Matt and only the corals linage traced back to him would be a warcoral?
Correct

So any other that look like it can't be called a warcoral.
Can't? Ehh... murky area here. Personally, and this is strictly my own opinion which doesn't mean squat, I think if someone is going to name a coral by some name that is "generic" (even if it is specifically given to that), then you should be able to name ANY coral that is the same species and has the same coloration as that. And many people do just this. Then you get the whole "is it a 'TRUE' War Coral questions" and at that point, honesty dictates a response of "No" or "I don't know" "I can't trace the 'lineage' back to Matt"

I checkout the one at Lucky goldfish but it wasn't as bright as Matt's.
And assuming the one there was actually from Matt's, even if it isn't, this is the hugest issue I have with naming corals. The argument goes "Well who knows what color it will turn to after time"... well the same argument can be made about LE, Tyree, Matt, Franks, or any other "Named" corals, you have any parameters that are different than the tank it was viewed in, it may change colors on you, different spectrum of lighting? Eh.. To think that only one particular color morph exists in nature goes way out there.. and I'll just leave it at that.

So me, I wouldn't care that it wasn't a "True" war coral, be happy with what you have, it looks like a nice piece. But if you are a collector, well that's another story :)

BTW, this post was not meant to be demeaning, or bash any of the above mentioned names, places, or traditions that are done in reefing, nor any one who posts in this thread or every will post in this thread, so please do not think I am attacking anyone or anything... except the silly naming concept :D

Naming may or may not specify lineage. Really depends on the person giving the name.

Sometimes a morph is so abundant, or was named so long ago, or was originally collected from multiple sources, or has a name that's become so generic that there isn't really any available lineage info.

Probably no point in trying to trace lineage on Eagle Eye Zoas, for example.

Now for Armageddon Zoas, you don't see new wild ones showing up.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=1905.msg18377#msg18377 date=1175824567]
IIRC, real war coral has blue centered eyes.
[/quote]
Blue eyes ??? I would get that one for sure :eek:

[quote author=flyingphish link=topic=1905.msg18398#msg18398 date=1175835245]
375177285_95f022f89b.jpg

ae war coral from atlantis...

first post, hello everyone.

i love corals.
[/quote]
Nice :eek:

Back