What kind of RO membrane should we use in the Bay Area? (San Mateo specifically!)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Vincerama2, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Hey, I know there are two types (at least) of RO membrane. Everytime I need to replace one I forget which one we're supposed to get for our area. I believe we use Chloramine instead of Chlorine now.

Any help is useful!

Thanks!

Vince

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Yes, chloramine is used in most CA water districts now (Bay Area has been on it for like 10 years). IIRC Chloramine is too small to be taken out by the membrane which is why you use a GAC filter prior for both chlorine and chloramine.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

yeah, the thin film (organic??) membranes would get chewed up by the chloramine (metaphorically speaking)... your carbon prefilters make it a non issue though

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Pentek makes a cartridge specifically for chloramines, look around, they are pretty easy to find.

If your TDS is low (I don't know what part of SM you live in), two carbon cartridges work just as well as long as you replace the initial one regularly. IME most of SM has really good water quality.

5. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I agree with Jeremy. 30-35 tds here in Foster City, and Vince you're maybe two miles away