What type wrasse that does not disturb sandbed?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by D0661E750, Sep 24, 2015.

1. D0661E750

D0661E750 Guest

Cleaner wrasse?
    Flasher?
    Fairy?
    Some yellow wrasse (unknown name)?
    ???

Please advise. Thank you.

2. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Yellow Coris wrasse sleeps in the sand...

McCoskers Flasher doesn't...

3. euod

euod Supporting Member

In general, Paracheilinus, Cirrhilabrus don't need sand bed while other families do, mainly Anampses, Formosa, gaimard, and Halichoeres

Enderturtle likes this.
  4. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

my previous fairies didn't, all leopards go straight to the sand. My exquisite sleeps in between the rocks.

5. RavenSF

RavenSF Supporting Member

I have a Halichoeres and they need a sand bed but I wouldn't say they disturb it. I challenge anyone to find one in the sand when they dive in, they don't leave a trace. That said any of the flashers will sleep in rocks not the sand. They are also more peaceful than the Halichoeres. I would discourage anyone from getting a cleaner wrasse, they are best left in the sea. Besides the flasher wrasses are much more colorful and they've got great personalities.

Vhuang168 and muhli like this.
  6. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I couldn't find my Melanurus when I was trying to remove all the fish to medicate. Removed all the rocks but no wrasse. Started stirring up the sand and still no wrasse, but that caused the water to get cloudy so I could have missed her coming up then back down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. RavenSF

I had the same experience once with my Biocellatus. I drug my fingers through every inch of sand and couldn't find her. I once accidentally found her cleaning, scared the heck out of me when she shot out of the sand bed like a rocket.

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Could you expand on your opinion about cleaner wrasses?

9. RavenSF

Enderturtle likes this.