High Tide Aquatics

What's wrong with LPS or what's eating it?

boun11

Supporting Member
Not too long ago I had some salinity problem dues to the fact that my calibration fluid was bad. Some of my corals were not very happy especially the LPS (chalice, blasto, acan, micromussa). Anyway, since then my tank has stablized. I tested yesterday:

Salinity; 1.025
Alk: 10.6
Ca: 410
Mg: 1200 (I know this is a bit low but will this contribute to my LPS problem?). could it be red bugs? I'm thinking dosing the whole tank with interceptor. Also, I have a big reef lobster in there. Could it be him?

I attached three pictures of the corals that are going through this. Thanks for reading!

DSC_6902.jpg

DSC_6904.jpg

DSC_6905.jpg

Boun, I have has success isolating blastos when they are loosing tissue. I put them in media bags so they still got light, but the night critters could not reach the tissue to 'clean it up'. Not sure if that helps, but if you can spend some time you could test to see if the die back stops, even if you do not know yet how or why it started.

Have you checked you refractometer with a proper and known standard? I suspect it's drifted and as such you numbers are off ;) Looks like a classic low MG/ALK issue.

GreshamH said:
Have you checked you refractometer with a proper and known standard? I suspect it's drifted and as such you numbers are off ;) Looks like a classic low MG/ALK issue.

I bought a brand new calibration fluid for my refactometer. I wonder if I should buy a new refractometer. Is 1200 of Mg too low? Should I put the corals that has issues in a tank that has no snails or anything verts that can pick on it?

What is your PO4 like? I forgot to ask that in my other post.

I honestly do not think anything is picking on it... have you seen anything picking on it?

Back