Kessil

Whats your refugium light cycle?

Just wondering what everyones refugium light cycle is like. I have mine turn on at about 10pm, half an hour after my display light turns off and it runs till about 8am. My main lights turn on at 330 and the 2nd at 4pm. Should my cycle be sump light on right when my display lights turn off and have the sump light running untill the display lights turn on again or is that too much? Just trying to see what would be best.

The goal for refugium reverse light period is to prevent pH drop and CO2 increase during the display tank "night" period. If you aren't going to run the refugium lights the entire time you display tank lights are off it would seem that they should be on towards the end of the display lighting "night" to keep CO2 and pH in check.

I like to have mine overlap by one hour at least, to help maintain PH levels

For Example: My daytime lights turn OFF at 10pm // so my refugium lights turn ON at 9pm

My daytime lights turn ON at 3pm // so my refugium lights turn OFF at 4pm

This has been working great for me for over a year!

I have mine on 24/7, however was considering a reverse setting for the new tank because I would like to keep a couple fish in the Fuge and worry that would be WAY too much day time for them. Great question, glad you asked, because I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Back