High Tide Aquatics

When Whales Fight Back!

A couple out on a quiet boating trip off the coast of South Africa got the shock of their lives when they were suddenly joined on deck by a 40-ton southern right whale. Yacht skipper Ralph Mothes, 59, is seen in this amazing photograph dwarfed by the whale as it breaches right next to his yacht Intrepid. A split-second after the picture was taken the 30ft-long whale slammed into the deck, snapping the steel mast like a twig and crushing the coach roof and side rigging.

see link for pics of damage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1296474/Spot-endangered-species-yacht-trip-turns-modern-day-Moby-Dick-southern-right-whale-lands-deck-couple.html

-Gregory

F You whale.....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251888

Warning: not politically correct but what episode of South Park ever is.

rygh said:
Definitely a fun whale article.
But I am leaning toward agreeing with the comments mentioned below the article.

I dunno - the angle is different so the horizon would be different (land vs ship). The numbers ARE blurred but they could be the same.....there's no guarentee(sp?) that the same person snaped both pics. The article certainly doesn't say.

I really hate Photoshop. It has yanked the rug under what was once a reliable medium.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
rygh said:
Definitely a fun whale article.
But I am leaning toward agreeing with the comments mentioned below the article.

I dunno - the angle is different so the horizon would be different (land vs ship). The numbers ARE blurred but they could be the same.....there's no guarentee(sp?) that the same person snaped both pics. The article certainly doesn't say.

I really hate Photoshop. It has yanked the rug under what was once a reliable medium.

-Gregory

Yes, I am far from sure.
I am pretty certain it is the same boat.
The numbers are a red herring. JPEG artifacts can easily turn a 3 into what looks like a blurred 7.
(Video compression is what I do in that annoying real life)

Part of what got me was the jib sail.
It is all white in the first pic, but has a big black stripe in the second.
However, looking closer, there is a black strip starting at the bottom of the first pic, and you cannot see the top.

Another thing is that the shadow on the jib does not really match the whale, or the really sharp shadow of
the whale on the boat.

But most of me does want to believe it is real. Way cool. Well, unless you own the boat.

Follow up:

It is definitely real.
Another boater had a video, released on CBS. Pretty wild.

Also, the owners of the boat are being investigated for harassing the whale.
So might not have been the freak accident it seems.

If they were harassing it they got what was coming to them from the animal and I hope they'll get what is coming from them from the "man" :D

rygh said:
Follow up:

It is definitely real.
Another boater had a video, released on CBS. Pretty wild.

Also, the owners of the boat are being investigated for harassing the whale.
So might not have been the freak accident it seems.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6704191n

Back