High Tide Aquatics

Where can I buy ungodly amounts of salt?

Since I'm doing 15% water changes weekly it's been getting $$$. Anyone know where I can get decent salt in bulk? I don't like IO because of the high alk. I prefer Red Sea Pro.

how much salt are we talking? like 3-4 buckets worth? or more? i know there are a few online shops that offer free shipping after a certain dollar amt...if any of them had a good deal on the salt at the time, the free shipping + the cheaper salt might be well worth it....

you can try contacting tunze, i know they let tbone, terry?, buy a whole pallet and with that he didnt have to pay for shipping. i am not totally good on the details but you could ask him if you want.

It's extremelly rare that you do not have to pay for shipping pallets of salt. That being said, I ordered 20 buckets from Dr Fster Smith and paid only $17 dollars in delivery charges. They sell just below what many LFS's buy at wholesale.

Last time I bought DrF&S salt it cost $34.99 each for a bucket, I bought 3 buckets which ended up costing me $8.99 for shipping I think, I made a friend in the FedEx driver by bringing a dolly out to the truck so he didn't have to carry them :D

A couple days later I was in Aquatic Central, and noticed his prices for buckets of the same salt were $39.99. Yeah 5 bucks more per bucket, but in hindsight, it'd only cost me an additional $6 to buy local. I think most of the stores here sell really close to their wholesale prices anyways.

They are having a sale right now. IO is like $28 and I think RC is like $30 :) I needed IO for work though so I got IO. For us, Dr Fstr is cheaper then any wholesale source,even direct from the manufacturer. Dr Foster sells so much RC that if they stopped selling it RC would be no longer. I've been told over half of what is made is sold or used at Dr Foster :D

Salt is usually a lost leader, like eggs at grocery stores (they loose money on eggs). I'm not saying they loose money on the salt, but they usually don't make much if anything on it.

BTW they shipped my salt via a long haul freight company :) $17 to deliver 20 buckets of salt from is SOOOOOOOOOO cheap.

I always thought that F&S just has a huge glaring bug in their shipping calculation routine, since they base on price not on weight, but surely they must have known about it for however many years they've been doing this!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4084.msg48891#msg48891 date=1215876229]
I always thought that F&S just has a huge glaring bug in their shipping calculation routine, since they base on price not on weight, but surely they must have known about it for however many years they've been doing this!

[/quote]

Fist off, FedEx built a facilty right next door just for Dr Foster Smith.... not many people get that treament from FedEx ;)

Secondly Race (Foster) has stated a few times on RDO that he subsidizes shipping :)

I forgot Terry had ordered the Tunze stuff. Anyone tried the salt? What are the parameters? For me Red Sea had the closest to my target parameters. 8dkH, 450 Ca, 1300Mg. IO and RC had 11+dkH. Tropic Marin was decent but way too expensive.

Check out this salt http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~DD2213~idCategory~FISM~category~D_D_H2Ocean_Magnesium_Pro_PLUS_Salt_Mix_23.3kg_Bucket_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Salt_Mix~vendor~.html

[quote author=moo0o link=topic=4084.msg48940#msg48940 date=1215903404]
thats what im thinking, i have no idea why some salts costs so much.
[/quote]
I think its too expiensive as well. But on the other hand buying salt that needs to be corrected to the proper parameters is a major pita.

A PITA? I find it pretty darn easy to open up two bottles and dump a measured amount into my mixed water.

[quote author=moo0o link=topic=4084.msg48940#msg48940 date=1215903404]
thats what im thinking, i have no idea why some salts costs so much.
[/quote]
Anything imported from a place (The UK) that has a much stronger monetary unit (the pound) then the US dollar is going to cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the fact transporting it to the US is becoming very costly now as well :)

Salt is a laughable subject to me. I love hearing people rip on product X and say Y is better while knowing X & Y are made by the same people :lol:

Back