got ethical husbandry?

Where to find 3 prong plug for Icecap Ballast

I need to wire a lumenmax reflector into an Icecap ballast. Because the lumenmax has a different style plug (ugh!) I have to change the plug with one that will fit into the female Icecap outlet. I attached a picture of the type of plug I need- the three vertical plugs are hard to come by. I've checked Orchard Supply and RadioShack, but no luck at either place and they don't know where they're sold. Does anyone know where one can be bought or do I need to go the mailorder route or buy one through Icecap?

is this what you need?? if so, how many do you want?
plug.jpg

Coming to the meeting? I can bring you one or you can pick up at my house. If not I'm pretty you can buy these at a computer store. Ask for a PC power cable extension adaptor/cord.

Using that plug that way is highly dangerous in the sense if some one doesn't know and tries plugging in a normal device it would fry it and could cause a fire/b odily harm. Just a FYI :)

I just cut and wire mine together with no plugs. Safest method IMO/IME :)

If you are talking about the female end, that should be cut and wired it to the ballast.

ballast -> quick disconnect -> powercord

For cookieJar
Reflector -> quick disconnect -> ballast (I think)

So the normal 110vac style plug (female) would be removed?

You can get some good high voltage plug combos at Fry's. I'd opt for one of these instead of the three prong setup if you want quick disconnect. If you don't need it, it is better to just splice it like Gresham suggested.

I've found disconnects to be just another failure point. A system I used to maintain for a restaurant nearly caught fire due to corrosion in the quick disconnect on the 400w ballasts. In defense of the quick disconnect, it was a major surge system with lots of air being pulled through it, so there was a lot of mist.

That's why I said that should to be cut.. You can't really connect that end to the ballast or the reflector anyway.. The quick disconnect you buy from icecap has a male end and bare wire at the other end.

I'm not sure what code you are talking about but we use a lot of these connectors at work. They are used on servers because the poweroutlet are usually too far for the regular powercord. This is an extension..

The icecap ballast comes with the 3 prong out of the box, my hesitation to hardwire is if/ when the ballast needs to be returned (which 1 of my 3 did and was replaced- props to icecap), it's easy to plug/ unplug. Yeah, corrosion can mess them up, but in my case it's a several feet removed from any water so I should be ok.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5533.msg68922#msg68922 date=1229109508]
Using that plug that way is highly dangerous in the sense if some one doesn't know and tries plugging in a normal device it would fry it and could cause a fire/bodily harm. Just a FYI :)

[/quote]
The same could be said about anyone trying to mess with anything about my tank, as I definitely would be inclined to make sure plenty of bodily harm occurs to them :D

Back