Neptune Aquatics

Where to get CO2 tank filled for calcium reactor

Hi:

I'm looking for my (very first) fill of my co2 tank for a calcium reactor.

I live in Campbell. Does anyone know any place closer than Carbonic services in Santa Clara?

Thanks.

Most Air Gas locations will do exchanges. The big problem you are likely to have is if you don't want to do an exchange. It tends to take much longer and be much more of a pain to find a place to do it.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5665.msg71041#msg71041 date=1229920214]
http://www.sfbaaps.com/ref.html
[/quote]

Why go offsite:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=1070.0

:p

Edit: why look at that, your link was in there as well :) (not being sarcastic, I just read the link after posting it :D)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5665.msg71041#msg71041 date=1229920214]
http://www.sfbaaps.com/ref.html
[/quote]

Tony, are you trying to kill us?! Don't you know that a bay area reef club and a bay area planted tank club will annihilate each other in a burst of pure energy if they come into contact?!

On a serious note: when you exchange a CO2 tank, do they require that the tank you're trading in be a particular type? I'm thinking about setting up a calcium reactor and I'm not sure what sort of tank I need to buy.

I haven't noticed any problems with they type of tank on the exchange. The last time I got a bright purple polished aluminum tank. Ich.

As long as the hydrostamp is up to date then no problem. You COULD run into an issue if you use a non CO2 tank for CO2. THis has to do with regulators and stuff.

The places I refill at, refill my cylinder, not swap.

The price is really dependent on location. Some places have major markups. Others don't. You might just need to call to find out. The drop shipper to Aquatic-Store on CO2 cylinders used to be about 15 miles from my house in So Cal. I got a shinny new aluminum one, sans tax and shipping for pretty darn cheap.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5665.msg71148#msg71148 date=1229981497]
As long as the hydrostamp is up to date then no problem. You COULD run into an issue if you use a non CO2 tank for CO2. THis has to do with regulators and stuff.
[/quote]

what if you have a tank with the Hydrostamp date expired?

[quote author=drdoolittle link=topic=5665.msg71237#msg71237 date=1230056927]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5665.msg71148#msg71148 date=1229981497]
[/quote]

what if you have a tank with the Hydrostamp date expired?
[/quote]

Then your the proud new owner of a useless metal canister unfortunately unless you get it re-hydrod and it actually passes. IN many cases old CO2 canisters are pitted beyond being usable and do not pass hydro.

Doesn't hydro testing basically test whether the stem can maintain a seal and if failed, they can replace the stem? There are tons of cylinders which I have come across which have a multitude of passing stamps on the cylinders (several decade old cylinders).

It also tests the integrity of the cylinder itself. They do visuals and look for pitting. It depends on your source Co2 and if you've allowed the cylinder to go completely empty (BTW never let it get completely emptied as it can allow water vapors to enter and pit the cylinder). Not to mention some simply pass them instead of truly testing them.

I have a 20lb cylinder that is from 1968, it passed the last hydro and was filled. I'm thinking that if your tank has a current hydro date on it then your best bet is to swap, that way you'll likely always have a valid tank.

How much does it cost to hydro test a tank?

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5665.msg82009#msg82009 date=1234905479]
I have a 20lb cylinder that is from 1968, it passed the last hydro and was filled. I'm thinking that if your tank has a current hydro date on it then your best bet is to swap, that way you'll likely always have a valid tank.

How much does it cost to hydro test a tank?

V

[/quote]

Best is to open an account with them and rent the bottle (deposit) :) No more worries or fears about hydro :D

Back