High Tide Aquatics

WHERE to put my new Koralia 4's in my tank??

Hey all,

Just got the nice ring at the door ad my new Kor. 4's are in... yeah...
now just need a little advice where to mount these babies??

Here is the back up info to take in to consideration.

Size of tank: 125

what I have in it right now: 2 (3/4") in Sea Swirls...they are producing little flow, due to weak return:(

2 maxi's in the back shooting at each other behind my rockwork.

I was thinking on the sides pointed toward each other?? Midway down??? Top?? Topdown??

Give me some ideas...

Oh ya, any good advice I should know when putting these things in too would be great!

Pix are always good too..

Cheers

I added two to my tank a month or so ago. I put them on my overflows on each side. I have them angled towards the center of the tank. The only issues I have with them so far is that they blow the sand around. So I'm not sure where to place them now. But with ur bigger tank u may not have any issues.

I just put them on the side of the tank.... one angled at a 45 to bounce off the front and the other is running parelled with the front???

Things are blowing around everywhere??/ Crazy to see......

Lights just came on, so will have to see how everything "reacts"...

I have mine on the back wall a little over 1/2 up the tank agled slightly down and point inward toward the front glass. I like it because they make the surface move quite a bit but also blow everything else around to.

Mine are on the top third of side glass of my tank One in the back corner and the other in the front. I have them angled facing each other. The best trick is to just install them and see how the corals react, and then move them 1 at a time to see if there is any change with the corals. As for the sand Mine did that and it used to bug me, but after a while the sand moved around and created peaks and valleys in the sand which I think looks good and more realistic then the sand being flat on the bottom of the tank.

You can see pics here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PUMPS-Hydor-Koralia-1-Pump-Powerhead-400g-WAVES_W0QQitemZ190255044562QQihZ009QQcategoryZ46312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have suggestions on how to setup the Koralia's. I just got mine yesterday and used option 1 for now.

Below is a pic of how I have 4 K4's oriented on my 90g. I've been using a gyre setup setup for last 10 or so months. Water moves around the rock wall horizontally, causing mass water movement instead of tubulent flow from having the pumps fight each other. I credit the coral growth I see to this flow. My lighting is not particularly strong (4x54W SLS retro kit). And my CA and Alk have been low for months at 330ppm and 5.5dkh (I've just learned about supplementing recently). Also, having at least one aimed at the surface is a good idea to prevent PAR blocking film, and to promote gas exchange.

20080813_full_tank.jpg

hey Rekkon, What are you using ( wavemaker) to produce the gyre effect?? Does the turning on and off of the Koralia's loud? I have read that it is???

Cheers

You going to Oct. Meeting??

No wavemaker, I keep all 4 K4's on all the time. Water constantly flows in the same direction, if looking at the tank from the top down it would be counter clockwise. With an Oceanrunner 2500 return pump that probably gives 400gph after head loss, that equals 5200gph, or 57x tank volume. Yes, I'm happy I went barebottom. ;D

I originally bought my K4's with the intent of only having two on at a time, and switching water flow direction every 2 hours. But, even at that infrequent pace, the clacking startup noise bugged me. I wondered how one direction flow would affect my corals, but so far I think it's turning out fine. Old green birdsnest pic is from 3/11/2008, new pic is from 8/13/2008.

20080311_green_birdsnest.jpg
20080813_green_birdsnest.jpg

I'm thinking of going to the meeting, gotta check to make sure I don't have something else already planned.

Back