Which external pump to buy ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by saltwatersig, Jun 30, 2010.

1. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

For the last 4-5 years I've run mag pumps in my sump as main return..........lately it seems that when impeller freezes and I try to remove to soak in vinegar , the white ceramic rod breaks.....and I end up replacing with another replacement impellar :((

So just want to get some feed back in what you folks use for externals and how the maintenance is with that pump ( does it require any impellar to clean or other parts to soak in vinegar ) . I am currently running a mag12 to 2 returns and also my chiller. Thinking of maybe a Dart / Iwaki/gen x but would like to hear other options/brands and why you like it.

Sergio

2. kvosstra

kvosstra Guest

Sergio - I've used the Dart Gold as my external pump with great results - like any pump - I always recommend to clean it out on a regular basis (3-6 months or so).

Another option would simply to go with the 1262 from Eheim, or a Red Dragon or ATB as your wet return.

Let me know if you have any other questions...Happy to answer any thing.

3. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Darts are good, mmmkay.

4. guihan

guihan Guest

I've used Reeflo pumps for over 2 years. They're quiet and customer service is very good (advance replacement if under warranty). I'm using a Snapper on my 120g with and a Dart on my 225g. I have a Snapper that needs the impellar seal replaced and I have the parts if you're interested.

FYI: The impellar on the Snapper can be upgraded to a Dart gold, but I don't know the price.

LMK.