Reef nutrition

White eggs ...

So, I took a glance at one of my small colonies of zoanthids in my reef tank, and I noticed on 2-3 of the stalks of some polyps something white and circular. I yanked them out, because these circular white deposits seem reminiscent of zoanthid eating nudibranch eggs ... I am starting to worry a little now.
Do only zoanthid eating nudi's lay eggs on zoanthids? Or is there any possibility that another non-predatory nudi is laying eggs?
Also, I took a close look at my other colonies and frags, and didn't notice any eggs on them. All the colonies (including the one I found eggs one) were all open and acting like normal. I would think if there was an adult zoanthid eating nudi wandering around a colony, that colony would be closed? Or do the colonies stay open while they're being eaten?

humm, I have to keep an eye here, I've noticed some little white things on the skirts sometimes but they seem to be part of the zoa

The white rings I find are not the skirt per se, but rather on the actual stalk of the zoanthid.
I found three adult nudibranchs on my zoanthids so far, and I plucked them right out (after a FW dip), along with any eggs I found see using a magnifying glass.

FWIW I cured my tank of ZEN in only a couple months with pure diligence. It was all manual removal for me, but if you stay on it, they go away.

I've been looking at my zoanthid colonies the best I can. I have found some patches of eggs, but removed them ASAP. I also found a total of three adults which died in a FW dip of the colonies.
I believe I got these ZEN the other day when I got lazy and neglected to dip a new small zoanthid colony. After placed in my tank, I immediately looked at it to see if I liked where it was. I immediately saw a what looked like a ZEN on the the colony, and I proceeded to yank the colony out right away -I ended up bring it back to where I got it from. The colony was in my tank for maybe 30 seconds. No more than a minute. I wonder how many of the buggers actually got off the colony into my tank ... :|
Also, how do you know when you've gotten rid of them Gresham? You just don't see eggs anymore?

Back