High Tide Aquatics

White spots on montis

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
7A70CBB4-3ADD-4AA8-8586-C7A70DF6557A.jpeg

D78E6E22-A580-4C6D-B4E9-22F2689F012C.jpeg
94869013-9B45-4E97-87F0-59ADEC7FEB5A.jpeg

Noticed some of my montis had these random white spots showing up. Does this look like potentially nudibranchs? Not all montis are affected and I’ve only noticed this recently and only thing I’ve added recently were a couple frags from my frag tank about 2-3 weeks ago that I watched for a while in the frag tank and inspected pretty thoroughly.
But also been a lot going on in my tank, added a bunch of fish, did a bigger than normal water change after I cleaned out the sump, getting the doser dialed in, so maybe that’s got something to do with it?

They do look a bit like MENB from the fuzzy pictures. If you can catch one (easiest is to suck them up with a turkey baster, or snap off a frag with them on it) and bring it to Twin Peaks I'll put it under a microscope and be sure. They usually leave eaten away trails through the tissue on the bottom sides of the caps as well.

They do look a bit like MENB from the fuzzy pictures. If you can catch one (easiest is to suck them up with a turkey baster, or snap off a frag with them on it) and bring it to Twin Peaks I'll put it under a microscope and be sure. They usually leave eaten away trails through the tissue on the bottom sides of the caps as well.

Ok thank you for this, I will try and catch one, I didn't see any when I looked last night after lights out, but I also didn't look after it had been dark for a few hours so maybe that maybe a difference. I was planning on heading out to SF tomorrow, I will try and catch one and bring it along if you're around

Ok thank you for this, I will try and catch one, I didn't see any when I looked last night after lights out, but I also didn't look after it had been dark for a few hours so maybe that maybe a difference. I was planning on heading out to SF tomorrow, I will try and catch one and bring it along if you're around
I’ll be generally around. Shoot me a PM at some point and we can swap phone numbers. I’m easier to reach by text, and occasionally miss forum messages here for a half day.

Put these under a scope today. I mistook the white spots in the photos as fuzzy moving things when in fact it seems they were bare places. The samples had been in containers overnight and were unhappy from that but no eggs found, no nudibranchs found, no usual trails through the underside tissue found. Don't know what it is, but I don't think it's MENBs.

Maybe some food or debris fell and hen sat on them causing a couple dead spots?
Reminds me of a guy I knew years ago who was big into zoas and decided to try montis. I was only a month or two into having a reef at the time and asked him about SPS. "Anything touches it and it leaves a dead spot. Food touches it and it leaves a dead spot, I had some fish poop land on a monti the other day [best rural Indiana voice] NOW I HAVE A FISH POOP SHAPED DEAD SPOT I HAVE TO LOOK AT ON MY MONTI".
I've actually found encrusting montipora to be not all tricky compared to many others, but years later I'm still chuckling at how irate he was about having to look at a fish poop silhouette.
The next question is will the spots be gone or bigger in 48 hours.

Thanks Danny for having a look at them, I suspect it could be something landed on them, I added, with slight regret, a sand sifting goby which has been digging through the sand and has kicked up a lot of stuff. It’s slowly settling down and not as bad as the finer stuff is getting filtered out but when I haven’t been home to immediately remove debris that landed it has accumulated. I will keep an eye out and see how it evolves the coming days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back