Who actually runs a QT/Hospital tank?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Vincerama2, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I'm thinking that for the upcoming frag swap, I will actually set up (or re-set up) a quarantine tank. My wife will go nuts, but whatever. I'll set it up in the "basement" where only my kids and I will notice! :)

The reason is that I'm still working on Nitrate issues in my big tank, but don't want to miss out on the swap either. Luckily, I have so much equipment I could even run a sump under it if I wanted to, and put LED lights or halides over it.

I'm wondering if anyone runs a qt tank 24/7 or if you just set it up for swaps OR don't even bother?

If not, I would highly recommend it for this swap.

In fact I'm going to set it up as soon as I can so that I can grow-out what fraggable corals I still have, including some BTAs.

V

2. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

In the past what I have done is have a frag tank, where I would put frags to grow out that I no longer wanted and were for grow out for trading/swaps/DBTC/etc, and of course the water volume is separate from the main tank. Then when you get new corals, after appropriate inspection/dipping, put them in that frag tank, that way the worst case scenario is you lose a bunch of frags that you put in there if there's something particularly nasty that outlives all dips, inspections, etc.

I've also had a fish QT that was plumbed into my main tank with a valve to isolate it when I was "in use as a QT"... well then BAR has a frag workshop/sale, and I brought home a lovely little Onyx clownfish from Quality Marine and a handful of others... well as I found out Quality Marine is about as honest a name as Best Buy is the absolute best price in town but I forgot to turn the knob to isolate it, and well needless to say brookynella (or whatever) did a lot of damage to my fish in the display tank. Never going to combine tanks like that again.

4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I use the bucket-transfer method for both fish and coral. Mini-QT.
    I always remove the frag plug.
    But I only use a real QT tank for fish.

5. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I have a spare 10 gal glass tank for QT when needed. You QT my Xenia? You need more?

6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Not me. And I feel guilty about it every time I bring something home. Thanks for reminding me....

Wlachnit and RandyC like this.
  7. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I feel the same guilt....sorta.

8. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I only start it up for TTMing fish. For coral: dip, examine, remount plug, rinse and go.

9. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I do the same. Ttm all fish, change frag plugs and dip the corals. If I needed a hospital tank I got one. Only illness so far is one of my lyretail has popeye. Crazy! Been three days so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

We should have designated hospital tanks in each section of the bay that we all support. :) Primarily so I don't have to have one of my own.

gabloo likes this.
  11. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I quarantine everything

12. RandyC

RandyC Guest

At least I dip corals in Bayer. Foreign frag plugs are a no-no in my tank too.

I actually do a FW dip of fish to see if they have any flukes, but other than that nada. I have been lucky and the only deaths of fish are those that can't stand the look of my face and jump out of the tank first chance they get - a six-line wrasse and yellow watchman goby. Oh and another six-line that thought he could take on an MP40. I do have all the equipment for QT and TTM though.

13. gabloo

gabloo Guest

I support this idea! ;P.

I don't have QT tank setup but I only buy fish from someone down in san jose who claimed that he TTM every fish. I have no issue with him fish so far. For coral, I only dip in Bayer and put them into the tank ;(.

14. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

I now quarantine anything that is wet. I have 20g QT for fish and will occasionally do TTM, praziquantel. I usually observe them for 4-6 weeks before they go into one of my DT. I also have a 70g (2x35g) coral frag/grow out system that is fishless. Most corals spend 2-3 months there. Corals get dipped in Bayer.

15. sjbro

sjbro Guest

I have a 30g tank+20g sump that I use as observation tank for all new livestock. Everything goes in there for at least 1 month before being placed in the main tank. I even qt-ed the chaeto :). Then I have a 10g tank that sits dry in the box until I need it to treat the fish. I also dip the corals before placing them into the observation tank.

16. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

One of my current pico (fluval spec3) used to be qt for my biocube 29. 24/7. I used it only for fish. Corals go through normal drip acclamation, followed by dip. I remove the frag play before gluing it on the rockscape, which may be at the same day, or couple of weeks after its introduced to DT.

17. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

I only do for new fish. Ive never had any problems with corals ( lucky I know ). I dip before introducing them

18. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

I have a QT that I use for fish, corals get dipped. Even still though, A year ago red bugs got into the tank, but intercepter fixed that pretty quick

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I bought a white tail bristletooth and Achilles Tang from Live Aquaria last week and they have been the first fish I've ever done anything other than acclimate. For them I did a formalin dip then into a bucket with prazipro to start the ttm. That will be it though. No quarantine period.

20. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Good luck with that Achilles. Beautiful fish!