Neptune Aquatics

Who feeds their coral ?

Curious on who feeds or does not feed their coral ? If you do feed what are you feeding ? Looking at both LPS & SPS

Last edited:
For some LPS dominant systems and for non-photosynthesis corals, I recall people doing a broadcast feeding time. The issue with targeted feeding is fish going for the food.

I don't have anything currently but I used to feed my LPS twice a week.

I made my own frozen food and would just turkey baster that stuff onto the LPS.

I used an auto feeder with pellets and I used to just mix some reef chilli and reef roids in with the pellets in the auto feeder so the sps got a predictable amount of broadcast feeding.

Honestly, with 9 tangs in the tank, the sps probably got enough food from the poop storm that came every time I put Nori in the tank.

I do!

I try to feed everything; reef roids, benepets, reef chili, acropower, red sea ab+, phyto, polyp booster, and lots of frozen foods.

I made a more detailed post on my tank nutrition here.

YES!!
but nothing directly
powdered flake food will work too
its all about flow…
corals are sedentary: they don’t move
all food must come blowing by
and waists must be taken away
feed you animals, they ain’t plants

then “flush” with regular water changes

I target feed my baby Rock flowers as well as other LPS. I use a combo of raw shrimp, salmon, and reef chili....blended into a paste using tank water. Then I just scoop out the paste into a quart freezer bag and smooth out all of the air pockets and freeze to use later. One batch usually fills 2 qt size ziplock bags and lasts a month or two.

Reef roids, reef nutrition oyster feast and ROE, flake/ pills..once or twice a week.. normally broadcast feed but target depending on corals at times..The more I target feed Yumas the more they drop babies or split.

I feed LRS reef frenzy in the morning, for the fish, corals, everything.

reef Roids, etc, raises PO4 too much for my setup, and corals grow pretty good without any target feeding

Reef roids, reef nutrition oyster feast and ROE, flake/ pills..once or twice a week.. normally broadcast feed but target depending on corals at times..The more I target feed Yumas the more they drop babies or split.
The first time I tried Reef Roids I decided to spray some by my mushrooms to see what would happen, thinking nothing or maybe the mouth would move. Initially they had no response. After the second squirt a bit later suddenly they closed up in what looked very obviously to be a feeding response. I'd never seen that before.

The next day they not only looked bigger, my one larger one had dropped a baby shroom frag.

It might have been the shrooms curled up in discomfort, and it might've been a coincidence, and it might've been equivalent to placebo effect, but I was blown away.

I'm still really careful using it because it seems to be a major tank polluter, but it sure does seem to work.

Also: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ndroid-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

---
Abstract
Size-dependant mortality influences the recolonization success of juvenile corals transplanted for reef restoration and assisting juvenile corals attain a refuge size would thus improve post-transplantation survivorship. To explore colony size augmentation strategies, recruits of the scleractinian coral Pocillopora damicornis were fed with live Artemia salina nauplii twice a week for 24 weeks in an ex situ coral nursery. Fed recruits grew significantly faster than unfed ones, with corals in the 3600, 1800, 600 and 0 (control) nauplii/L groups exhibiting volumetric growth rates of 10.65±1.46, 4.69±0.9, 3.64±0.55 and 1.18±0.37 mm3/week, respectively. Corals supplied with the highest density of nauplii increased their ecological volume by more than 74 times their initial size, achieving a mean final volume of 248.38±33.44 mm3. The benefits of feeding were apparent even after transplantation to the reef. The corals in the 3600, 1800, 600 and 0 nauplii/L groups grew to final sizes of 4875±260 mm3, 2036±627 mm3, 1066±70 mm3 and 512±116 mm3, respectively. The fed corals had significantly higher survival rates than the unfed ones after transplantation (63%, 59%, 56% and 38% for the 3600, 1800, 600 and 0 nauplii/L treatments respectively)

The first time I tried Reef Roids I decided to spray some by my mushrooms to see what would happen, thinking nothing or maybe the mouth would move. Initially they had no response. After the second squirt a bit later suddenly they closed up in what looked very obviously to be a feeding response. I'd never seen that before.

The next day they not only looked bigger, my one larger one had dropped a baby shroom frag.

It might have been the shrooms curled up in discomfort, and it might've been a coincidence, and it might've been equivalent to placebo effect, but I was blown away.

I'm still really careful using it because it seems to be a major tank polluter, but it sure does seem to work.
Certain mushrooms I have always curl up completely looking like small apples anytime I feed the fish or corals. Other varieties of shrooms tentacles expand and mouth gets larger but don't apple up. Duncan's and elegance get a bit crazy as well..If or when I do target feed new corals I aways plan a water change the next day or so..But I've definitely noticed more growth on certain corals when feeding on a regular schedule so I slowed down a bit to save real-estate lol.
Paul

Certain mushrooms I have always curl up completely looking like small apples anytime I feed the fish or corals. Other varieties of shrooms tentacles expand and mouth gets larger but don't apple up. Duncan's and elegance get a bit crazy as well..If or when I do target feed new corals I aways plan a water change the next day or so..But I've definitely noticed more growth on certain corals when feeding on a regular schedule so I slowed down a bit to save real-estate lol.
Paul
Oh also I cut down target feeding in the summer hot weeks cause my temp gets to 84 at times with no effect on the tank but notice corals do get growth spurts when the temp is higher with without feeding..But get food by default from the fish food or a sand bed stir..

Oh also I cut down target feeding in the summer hot weeks cause my temp gets to 84 at times with no effect on the tank but notice corals do get growth spurts when the temp is higher with without feeding..But get food by default from the fish food or a sand bed stir..
That’s pretty high. I’d get a chiller or set up a fan for evaporative cooling

Back