Jestersix

Who has been feeding cyclop-eez?

I want to try frozen cyclop-eez and wondering who are using it and what is the result? Any local store offer it?

Tired to search but today whenever I submit a search, got a server busy error :-(

I am current feeding RN roti-feast, oyster-feast, Rod's food, PE Mysis, KZ coral vitializer, formula 1 & 2 flakes & pallets, the coral I am focusing on is Acropora.

I feed it, and used it long ago on an old tank as well.

Fish love it, some LPS refuse it, some LPS go nuts over it. It's nice and small so I feel that helps things with a smaller mouth. IME sps grab it but spit it out.

Personally I think it's a PITA to shave up some cyclopeeze. RN products are easier to use.

Aquatic Central in SF sells it and I think Ultimate in SM sells it too.

I just dip the bar in the tank water and shake. Put par back in freezer.

I love the stuff. Nothing makes my tank go crazier.

While it's still frozen it floats but once it's dissolved they stay suspended pretty evenly throughout the water column. +1 on some LPS hating it most things love it though.

anathema said:
I feed it, and used it long ago on an old tank as well.

Fish love it, some LPS refuse it, some LPS go nuts over it. It's nice and small so I feel that helps things with a smaller mouth. IME sps grab it but spit it out.

Given the size of CE is MUCh larger then 90% of SPS can actually take in, that doesn't surprise me ion the least they don't suck it down :) Pocci's are well known to be able to eat it, mine love it.

I've never had a coral reject CE of which CE is within it's particle size. If a competitor is saying only good things about the product.....

The only issue I have is they use ethoxyquin as an antioxidant and I won't let that crap get into my tank. Read up on the stuff, it's no good, especially if you are like me and are trying to get your corals, fish, invert, etc to spawn.

ryanjiang said:
I want to try frozen cyclop-eez and wondering who are using it and what is the result? Any local store offer it?

Tired to search but today whenever I submit a search, got a server busy error :-(

I am current feeding RN roti-feast, oyster-feast, Rod's food, PE Mysis, KZ coral vitializer, formula 1 & 2 flakes & pallets, the coral I am focusing on is Acropora.

Ryan...I got both. The frozen stuff, I only have it in the 750g size though.

I get the frozen bars. I feed it once every few days. Fish love it. Haven't seen much of a coral response. I think I read somewhere that it's one of the few foods that helps keep fish colors vibrant. Take that with a grain of salt :)

robert4025 said:
Ryan...I got both. The frozen stuff, I only have it in the 750g size though.

Thanks Robert I will come by soon and grab one and try, I will prob. try the frozen dry cause frozen 750G is too big, do you plan to get some frozen bar in future?

I may be out of my depth here but whatever. Wont be the first time I say something stupid. :D

I've always thought that cyclopeeze get rejected by lps because of their shell. Some corals that will eat flying fish roe and chopped silversides often don't respond to mysis and cyclopeeze at all. I've had some luck mixing a small amount of sushi store flying fish roe into these feeds to get more of a response. Ime, chalices flat out refuse cyclopeeze, but my chalices are fragile snowflakes and it's hard to get them to eat anything.

It could also be that both mysis and cyclopeeze tend to end up freezer burned by the time I use them all.

I also have much better luck feeding if I drop some oyster feast, flying fish roe juice, or other oily feed in the tank about ten minutes before.

Got no chalice, but the lobos do not seem to feed on cyclopeze. Blastos, caulastria, lytho, plate, cynaria and dendro/tubs take them in very well. I soak mine in oily feed too, selcon.

anathema said:
I may be out of my depth here but whatever. Wont be the first time I say something stupid. :D

I've always thought that cyclopeeze get rejected by lps because of their shell. Some corals that will eat flying fish roe and chopped silversides often don't respond to mysis and cyclopeeze at all. I've had some luck mixing a small amount of sushi store flying fish roe into these feeds to get more of a response. Ime, chalices flat out refuse cyclopeeze, but my chalices are fragile snowflakes and it's hard to get them to eat anything.

It could also be that both mysis and cyclopeeze tend to end up freezer burned by the time I use them all.

I also have much better luck feeding if I drop some oyster feast, flying fish roe juice, or other oily feed in the tank about ten minutes before.

Most studies I have read on gut content of "sps" corals revealed the majority of what was in them was copepods.

If your shell theory held up, rotifers, copepods, mysids, artemia, shrimp, etc would all be rejected ;)

Yep, seems odd to me too, my thought was more that the frozen dead animals needed an oily coating to trigger the "tastebuds" on the tentacles. You would be much more knowledgeable than I am though.

I just seem to see when feeding, stuff with shells gets rejected more often than eggs or chopped flesh. Not sure how to explain it best. Also when I take placebos I can fly. Maybe that's all it is.

Back