Neptune Aquatics

Why different colored Coralline?

So here's a random question: How come I have different colored Coralline growing in my tank? For example, I have purple mostly, but some spots of burnt sienna, orange, and even burgunday red. I love the different colors, and wonder how I would get the other non purple colors to grow faster?

Does different species come from different Live Rock? I'm trying to figure out how to get more differently colored coralline to grow in my tank.

Or if you have somewhere I can read up on it, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks!

Coralline algae thrives on sufficient calcium level. Be sure to maintain a level around 440 to insure that your Coralline continues to spread and thrive. Everywhere the Coralline covers will be much less likely to harbor nuisance algae.

Gonzo said:
Does different species come from different Live Rock? I'm trying to figure out how to get more differently colored coralline to grow in my tank.

Or if you have somewhere I can read up on it, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks!

As Gresham stated, different coralline like different conditions. Substrate, for example, can dictate what type of algae grows as much as light or water quality. Dr. Dan Morse did a study years ago regarding coralline settlement to help develop a media that would encourage gastropod recruitment, he found that different plastics grow different algae. Mostly you'll find pink, purple and maroon in aquariums, if you have all three you're already ahead of the game :)

I have what appears to be two shades of green coralline. One is a light celery and the other is a dark forest green. They grow mainly on plastic parts and the back glass. Are these considered corallines also? I've never seen references to green ones.....

-Gregory

The plastic comment makes sense because the maroon coralline is on my algae scraper, but there is some neon orange and maroon on a rock so that's interesting.

The green sounds awesome Greg. Someone once told me that Marshall Islands rock had natural maroon and oranges while fiji was more purple. THis was also told to me about 7 years ago, so I'm guessing that was a myth :)

The green is pretty cool. The rock has purple, pink, and maroon. The orange you have sounds awesome.

If you're interested I can cliip some egg crate to the back wall of the tank and grow some green for ya....

-Gregory

I'm collecting softies so if you have anything that's "different" that would be cool otherwise no charge......It's not a quick grower so prolly nothing before Jan.

-Gregory

Off topic but if you are collecting softies I have an oddity for ya. It's probably braerium(sp) but it looks a lot like a miniature encrusting xenia. Has a light blue base and reddish tan polyps. Can frag you off some if you want it I'm just kind of growing it in a corner since it's something I hadn't seen. I'm in sf if you want it.

anathema said:
Off topic but if you are collecting softies I have an oddity for ya. It's probably braerium(sp) but it looks a lot like a miniature encrusting xenia. Has a light blue base and reddish tan polyps. Can frag you off some if you want it I'm just kind of growing it in a corner since it's something I hadn't seen. I'm in sf if you want it.

That would be very cool.....however, I don't get that way often (I'm in Vallejo). Are you going to be at the meeting on Sat?

-Gregory

My only softie at this point is your standard leather toadstool that is about 12 inches long and 6 inches high. Does have really nice 1 inch long tentaches.

No worries....if you get something more odd down the lien we can talk.

Here's a pic of the green coralline....not best focus but you get the idea of the colour....

DSCN5828.jpg

GDawson said:
No worries....if you get something more odd down the lien we can talk.

Here's a pic of the green coralline....not best focus but you get the idea of the colour....

DSCN5828.jpg

Oh Boy, I always thought that it's some weird micro algae on my back wall, that is very hard to remove.

Back