Why is my sand clumping??

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by Klems, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Started the tank earlier this year with some large size live sand. Have been dosing BRS 2 part...and now sections of my sand are clumping together in large almost rock like formations. Is there a way to fix this? Some pieces have solidified under the rock structure...need advice on how to fix or deal with it.

Bad picture with all the blue, but my finger is where the rock ends and it's literally 2-3 inches past the edge of the rock...

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Check you magnesium levels.

What are you alk and ca levels?

How much alk n ca are you dosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

As Vincent noted -- probably calcifying due too to much calcium.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  4. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

If I can reduce my dosing, will that fix the sand clumping over time...or do I need to manually break it up or replace it?

I do have 3 or 4 nassarius snails and a fighting conch to move the sandbed...

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I had that problem in a big way a few years back. Had to basically chisel it out with a chunk of plastic.
    As above, keep CA reasonable, Mg up, and add more sand moving critters.
    Replace it.

6. Vhuang168

Can’t help you unless you give us those numbers.

7. euod

euod Supporting Member

Ca level would confirm that.
    My Ca is really high and I don't see that.
    Increase flow may help or stiring sand slightly before doing water change

8. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

ALK= 9.1
    CA= 440
    MAG= 1460

Using the Reefkeeper I was dosing ~5.5ml of CA and ALK(soda ash) 10 times throughout the day...

Should I reduce it down to 3.3ml's every 2 hrs?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  9. Vhuang168

How much 2 part are you dosing?

The mag is not too bad but if you are dosing a lot that could cause the issue.

10. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

What other critters should I get? More nassarius and fighting conch....or something different?

11. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Have tried to break up the clumps of sand I can get to...most of it in the back against the overflow is not accessible. But I was able to get most of the other pieces ground up... hopefully it will allow the nassarius and conch better access

12. Vhuang168

That just solves the symptoms not fix the cause.

13. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Calcium is not as freely soluble as the other major elements in NSW. It’s solubility will depend significantly on alk and pH. If you’re pH is high, it would definitely start to crash out. I would remove the clumps since they will not dissolve at reef pH levels. Then I would lower your target Ca++ levels by just a bit.

14. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

My pH hovers around 8.2-8.33 daily

15. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

I reduced my calcium by 20ml's over the course of the day and after checking it today it is still around 460...so should I keep checking for the next week, and if it stays the same does that conclude why the sand was clumping?

I did notice my ALK has dropped from ~9 to ~8.....can I increase my ALK dose up a bit or should I keep it exactly the same as the CA?

16. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

The CA was at 420 today and ALK at 8.5. Also, added another fighting conch I picked up at Neptune's.