Reef nutrition

Why Vortech pumps are so expensive.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Now you might wonder why they are so expensive, well sure there's some technology in them that makes them expensive, I mean hell you haven't seen the Chinese knockoff clones yet have you?? :D

Well here's another reason, let me recount the story...

So I bought a Gen2 upgrade kit to install on a used one I recently purchased. Well unbeknown to me there was a flaw in or something, after a couple days I noticed it made too much of a rattling sound... so I take it out look at it, send EcoTech an email, and while their customer service is great, the first response isn't want I liked, "I can't see anything wrong with it from the pictures you sent, go to http:/... and make sure you install it correctly, send us an email if problems persist"..

Well I'm not an idiot, it was installed correctly, problems did still persist. When I took it apart again I did notice something, the screw head was actually counter sunk on the magnet, which looking at my others shouldn't be the case. So back on the horn to EcoTech, told them my problem, of course they pointed the finger back at me saying I didn't put something in place (even though it was), then I noticed something else, the plastic screw threads were stripped near the bottom, so basically the nut couldn't hold it all on correctly. So in the midst of sending emails back and forth, they mentioned me needing new parts, send a CC# and all that jazz, but before I did I wanted to get a parts list down so I didn't miss anything. Well I tested on another pump to see if I could recreate the rattle and sure enough something else went wrong the the impeller got pulled through housing.. guess them magnet was quite powerful! :D More emails etc etc.

Finally, kept asking for a invoice BEFORE he sent, so I could double check everything.. and of course I got nothing in return. But from what I gathered I needed a new wetside/impeller, and a new magnet kit. I also asked for a couple o-rings because the ones on my current were a little on the rotted out side. Between the two damaged vortechs though I did have enough parts to make a single working one, so no big deal.

The day arrives when my package gets here in it was, one magnet kit! (good) one wetside w/ impeller kit (good), another wetside w/ impeller kit (WTF?) and no O-rings (SUMMABITCH!). Again to the email, asking what was up, why I got two wetsides? Pointing fingers back to me... ok whatever.. he asked what I wanted to do (i.e. send one wetside kit back) but I said I'll keep it as a spare should anything bad happen again, just send the O-rings in an envelope or something, no problem fixed... within a day a package from EcoTech shows up.. sweet! O-rings.. wtf is with the box though... open it up and inside I find.... one magnet kit, two wetside + impeller kits, and 2 O-rings. Oy vey... ok whatever I got my O-rings! Then a few days later... an envelope shows up... and in it are two O-rings! *sigh*

So there you have it folks, the reason why the Vortech costs so much, is because they use twice as many parts as they have to :)

Check your CC and make sure they did not charge you all those extras that they mistakenly shipped. Happened to me.

next, complain about the dry side and then follow up with the controller. maybe you'll end up with a second vortech when all is said and done!

A second vortech? Hell I have 3 wetsides I don't need... need to figure out if I can ramp up the output voltage to the controller and simply use a single controller to control 4 at once! :D

And yeah I'm waiting for that CC statement to make sure they didn't double charge me.

why wait, call the credit card and they usually have an automated system that can tell you the balance and transaction.

Doh! I just paid 80 bucks to buy a new wetside, since I had problems with an old one and was way beyond warrenty! I coulda just bought one off you =)

heh, heh. Ecotech did the same to me. 3 days after my warranty wetside arrived in the mail, another one arrived in the mail...

:D thats pretty good explaination on the price Mike. Glad it all worked out for you. consider the extra part as a payment for the headache that you went through.

I just sent two of my tunze to Roger for repair, i hope i get as lucky as you. :bigsmile:

Back